Season over before it starts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thelawnguy, Apr 30, 2001.

1. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Lawns are beginning to show signs of drought stress. A few have not even been mowed yet this season and are already going dormant. Pray for rain. Glad I had a busy winter season.

How are others holding up in your areas?

2. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

We need rain here to we are under water restrictions since last summer.

3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Same here in Rhode Island. This is too early to have the dust flying. Maybe it'll be like last year when things started to dry up, then the rain came, and came. I can see that some lawns might be going to a 10 or 14 day schedule.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

it seems everytime i buy a new mower, the grass burns and i cant use it that much. i bought my scag walk behind 3 or 4 years ago and i was mowing every 3 weeks. i just got my first ztr (60 inch lazer) 2 weeks ago and ive only mowed once. i cant wait to use it again this week, but the lawns are already dry and no rain expected all week. i hope some rain comes.

5. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

same here in NJ some are gettig dry.. others are fine... I can definatly tell who has irrigation and who does not

6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in the Tampa area we've been on water restrictions for about 3 to 4 years now.

Will it ever get back to normal??

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Now you guys up north are getting a taste of what we been through the last 3 or 4 years down south. Last year early starting drought seems to be repeating itself. I think we got 1" or 2" in april. They say the norm is 4 ". I dont think there is a normal anymore. I was really kicking up the dirt and dust today as the ground is drying up fast. pray for rain some people say. Well we been praying for normal rainfall for a longtime now so good luck on that.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Up here in Eastern Washington, we have a low snow pack year in the mountains so our lake is gonna be down a few feet from it's usual level! We're kind of in a drought here but I guess we'll see. My lawn, on the other hand, is growing insanely fast! I have to mow every 5 days! One thing to say on that, WOW!

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Lawns here are starting to go dormant too.I mowed last week,dust everywhere,like it was august in april.At the golf course we have been watering greens,tees and fairways for 2 weeks already,usually we dont need water until 2nd week of may on fairways,and 1st week on greens.We have no rain in sight either-a complete 180 of last year.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

We've had a decent amount of rain until about a week ago. Things are starting to get dry. But, we've been cutting every week and will continue to for a while still.

It is very unusual though, the bermuda is really slow about greening up this year. Zoysia and fescue are growing good and dark green, but several bermuda lawns are very patchy.