Seasonal Colors

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by syzer, Jun 4, 2001.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been reading about this alot lately in all the mags. Seems to be the next big thing. I want to start learning my plants other then begonias and pansies =).

What do you guys think about this?

can anyone point me to any good sites to read and learn about flowers and planting techniques and all that jazz?//
  2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere
    Posts: 1,579 hand I don't know of any sites....what you might consider is, take a trip down to your local greenhouse ...browse around, ask questions and grab any literature they might have...this will put you in touch with what grows well in your geographical region. Also ask about buying wholesale.
    PS.. check out our website...there are many annuals listed there with a brief description.
  3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Just remember culture then color. Kris's idea is a good one. Find some good local nurserys and green houses and look through them, also take your camera.

The thing about seasonal color is it's just that, seasonal. You want to be able to visualize the leaf color and texture in the overall landscape design when the plant material is not in seasonal color. The best way to do this is take your camera and take a lot of pictures, you will probably want somthing to show your customer (client) anyway and books tend to be cumbersome when addressing clients.

Good Luck,
    Jim L
  4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I have some software that I use that I find very helpful for this - it's called Horticopia.

You can search it's database on just about any characteristic of plant - height, spread, shape, leaf type, leaf color, bloom color, bloom time, fall color, water requirements, sun requirements, flammability, etc, etc. From there you can either put together a slide show (with music!) to show the customer on your laptop, or you can print pics of the plants along with technical data. IMO the slideshow on a laptop isn't the best - hard to get 3 heads (mine and the customers) around one laptop screen.

I believe you can find them at But the software is much better than the website.
  5. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

That Horticopia is a bit steep at $595.
  6. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

I sometimes use a program called garden encyclopedia it has all the search tools Stonehenge mentioned, undoubtedly less complete than Hoticopia, but only costs arround $40.

Jim L