seasonal contract from per cut

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Turf Troll, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

I would like to switch from per cut to charging for the entire mowing season to try to cover myself from the heat wave / drought conditions. Anyone using that type of contract , would you care to share or barter?
    sandaservices@juno.com
    Thanks

2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Explain to us exactly what your wanting to achieve....Monthly billing (bill for work performed)....Yearly contracts (12 equal payments). I do yearly contracts with 12 equal payments but I base this on 30 cuts a year and add 6 services for leaves and can add any service the customer request. Its all factored in a annual total and divided by 12. In case of a drought I adjust on last payments or continue services until I reach 30 cuts. (((nutshell version)))

I have tweaked this agreement over the pass few years and its working good for me as well as my customers. :)

3. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

I do the same thing and it works good for me. My customers like the 12 month billing. I use 24 mowings instead of 30. I build in 6 weeks of rainy or dry weather. This also covers me if I have a breakdown on equipment. If we go over the contract number of mowings the customer makes the difference up to me or I adjust the leaf removals in the fall.

4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

o-so,
    what software are you using? and how do your customers respond to 12 month billing, more so the residential, and do you also include or offer a fert program in the same setup? trees etc.. sorry for all the questions

5. Turf Troll

Depending on the weather I get 28 to 30 cuts or should. 2005 it was 20 to 24 depending on fert, height etc. Going out but only being able to cut half the lawns on that day's schedule , but I am still stopping to see if it needs cut so I am creating an expense going there I would like to recoup it some how? Thats were I need some help, I'm stuck.

6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i have worked for company's that sell 26 cuts (standard for my area, like yours i'm sure) and thats weather they need it or not (e.g. if you only mow 20 times, they still get billed 26, if it goes over, then you eat it). they do the same with snow plowing. commercial i can see that would work, resid. i can see not getting paid. (these are VERY large accounts the company services')

7. Turf Troll

I'm using Groundskeeper pro most of the time some times quickbooks, mowing is a stand alone charge.
    I had a hernia and a problem with a nerve in my foot in late 2004 and only kept key accounts took on no landscaping work went from 3 helpers to a (1)part time person. So I'm looking to grow again so it would be a contract for new customers (mowing).
    Thanks

8. Turf Troll

Thats it, that is the type I am looking to set up.

9. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Send you a copy of mine. Let me know how you like it?

thanks mike

10. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

opps sent you the wrong on the first time. I didn't know you wanted to have a per month contract, but sent you a per month contract, it states that you by here pay this per month for 12 months. this should help you out on droughts.

thanks mike