1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Seasonal or year round pay for help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gr grass n Hi tides, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys pay your help during the season only (then they file for unemployment during the winter or find something else to do), or stretch it out over 12 months? I was considering at least offering the 12 month as an option, sort of like the choice school teachers get. What's been your experience?
  2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I keep my guys on part time in the off season. There is usuaaly plenty to do, wash,paint, clean, rebuid equipment, trucks, etc. We keep them only as part time and to make up for the difference we offer all the overtime they want during the busy season. You should be able to make enough through the year to pay at least part time. I should say this - it only applies to the good employees. I do not want them to go and find another job and this ensures that they stay here. The not so good employees do not get offered the off season work and overtime. Those I can afford to lose anf replace if they decide to go somewhere else.
  3. Gr grass n Hi tides

kickin sum grass -

Thanks for the feedback, those are great thoughts. Good way to weed out the unproductive ones.
  4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I too pay my good employees year round. I guarantee 30 hours per week as long as they work when I want them to. If they are sick, have to leave early, etc. they only get paid what they work for that week. I usually do this with three or four employees but this year I carried over five. It's a good way to start the season with people who know whats going on and where the clients are, etc. PLUS it keeps them from collecting unemployment.
  5. Gr grass n Hi tides

smburgess -

Thanks for the input. Do you offer other benefits like vacation to guys that have been with you a long time? I've got a friend that has one employee for 10+ years and he set him up with a benefits package.