Seasonal Pricing...........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HS Football Rules, Aug 5, 2007.

1. HS Football Rules

HS Football Rules LawnSite Member

Hustler just ended their promo period....Lesco is about to start one..(albeit a short one)...
    Wright has a seasonal pricing structure..(which doesn't correlate to dealer prices I've seen):confused:
    Everride has a rebate program.

Some dealers say they are bound by their pricing structure set by the Mfg.
    Others set price points based on their interpretation of the local market, and the
    price book collects dust somewhere.
    So...my questions are these...

I've been told that Hustler,for example, has a promo period every year.
    Is this true of any other mfgs...and if so, when?

Who is really in control of the actual selling price?

Does a "cash buyer" have any real bargaining power?

Purchasing for value is NOT lowballing! (Flame suit: ON ) :cool2:

2. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

When I bought my Scag Z last year, I saved a few hundred by paying cash. Some dealers will work with you if it's cold hard cash, others are indifferent about it. What I believe is more important than price is service. You might save a couple hundred on a purchase but will that dealer come through for you when you're in a bind? Case in point, I purchased a new WB in April this year. I could have got it for $150 less at another dealer but their service dept is terrible. I had the WB for about 3 weeks and the engine was running rough one morning. Called the dealer and told him that I was on the way to bring it in. I barely had the mower off the trailer when my dealer was giving me a demo. I was in and out of there in less than 3 minutes. Can you put a price on that?

3. HS Football Rules

I left service out of the equation because I thought it was a given.
    Scag is so common up here...buying from the best dealer is obvious.
    And your 100% right...can't put a price on the type of service you described.

4. rogerwb

rogerwb LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

To get a WRight with the discount price you have to pay $100 and do it on line and take the print out to the dealer nearest you. That's the story I got from the dealer.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, but first find a product you like, then stick with it.
    Doesn't really matter, it can be any and any combo of the several dozen line of commercial yard care product manufacturers, to some degree what your dealer carries will narrow it down.
    My line is Toros and Stihl, now if I were interested in their promos then at least I would be able to narrow it down further, unfortunately equipment needs and promos don't always match up thou I have been known to buy a spare when a promo is going on, that's usually how it works, either that or sheer luck.

He who is selling what you want or need, plain and simple.
    So long you need or want it, the seller is in control.
    Only if the seller needs the money worse than you need the product can you bargain.

I don't understand, it's all the same money, goes in the bank.
    Unless you're suggesting I break the law by not paying taxes ...

No, but you also can't expect to simply walk around like the big bad Lco and get everything at a discount just because you own a business now. For the most part it took many of us years to find the suppliers that sell our parts cheaper than the dealer.
    For example, I'll be getting my belts from Grainger.
    But that's all Grainger sells that I need, is belts.
    And it took 5 years to figure that out.

Then there's bearings, grommets, clips, pins, blades, filters, plugs, oil, etc, etc...

As for equipment, try ebay but don't buy from out of state and then expect a local dealer to service it.
    That's the thing, once you buy at discount you're on your own.

6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Called the dealer and told him that I was on the way to bring it in. I barely had the mower off the trailer when my dealer was giving me a demo. I was in and out of there in less than 3 minutes. Can you put a price on that?[/QUOTE]
    I can put a price on that. I bought from a dealer 25 miles away because the dealer nearby was higher in price by 300 to 400 per unit across the board. Service was a non issue because most dealers have good service. If they didnt I would call Exmark over and over til something was done. My nearby dealer said he felt it was worth 300 to 400 more at his shop because he had demos to rent if I had problems.

7. HS Football Rules

Brand loyalty?..are you kidding?...most of the guys on here
    have switched several times throughout the years, for one reason
    or another. Trial and error is what eventually provides for brand loyalty.

"So long you need or want it, the seller is in control."

Economics 101...Seasonal demands dictate the market...so, no,
    the market dictates price points IN GENERAL. I'm talking about
    flexibility on final sales..when is the last time you paid full sticker
    for a vehicle..or top asking price for a house?

"I don't understand, it's all the same money, goes in the bank.
    Unless you're suggesting I break the law by not paying taxes
    "

What? what the heck do taxes have to do with anything?
    So your saying if I walk in with cash in hand I won't be eligible for
    an additional 2% discount?

"As for equipment, try ebay but don't buy from out of state and then expect a local dealer to service it."
    Does that theory apply to buying belts too!

I expect good dealer service, and in return, if I'm happy with the product,
    he can expect my business for everything else....at a fair price.

"That's the thing, once you buy at discount you're on your own."
    ??????? I give up !

8. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I can put a price on that. I bought from a dealer 25 miles away because the dealer nearby was higher in price by 300 to 400 per unit across the board. Service was a non issue because most dealers have good service. If they didnt I would call Exmark over and over til something was done. My nearby dealer said he felt it was worth 300 to 400 more at his shop because he had demos to rent if I had problems.[/QUOTE]

Well there you go. If the service is the same at most of your dealers in your area, then going with the lowest cost makes sense. My issue is that service at various dealers here is not the same. In order to have prompt quality service I chose a dealer that I believed to be fair, honest and had a great service dept. To this date he has come through for me every time I'm at his shop. While I could have purchased the same mower elsewhere and saved $150 it's not worth the aggrevation of dealing with a poor service dept. The way I figure it, I'm money ahead just because of the fast service I receive from my dealer.

9. Mow N GO 06

Mow N GO 06 LawnSite Member

I can put a price on that. I bought from a dealer 25 miles away because the dealer nearby was higher in price by 300 to 400 per unit across the board. Service was a non issue because most dealers have good service. If they didnt I would call Exmark over and over til something was done. My nearby dealer said he felt it was worth 300 to 400 more at his shop because he had demos to rent if I had problems.[/QUOTE]

Quote: "I would call Exmark over and over til something was done" hehehe.....the oldest trick in the book....Who will win this battle? Hmmmm, lol....You do the math....I do know a good shade tree mechanic that I can refer you to. "I would call Exmark over and over til something was done" hehehe. You do the math. Are you really sure you can? What if we don't have the parts, what if UPS loses them for DAYS, what if all of our mechanics are out sick with the "same" stomach virus, what if they are all in school this week, what if..............??? Can eXmark really help? You do the math and lose your 300.00...Just some food for thought