Seasons almost over

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Allens LawnCare, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I can't believe the mowing season is almost over. This year flew by without the high blood pressure of the past........Two more months, then it's time to hit the Leaves............Howhas everyones season gone so far?:cool2::drinkup:

2. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

Grass cutting was over for me first part of July. It has been so dry, lawns only need cutting about every 3 weeks, except for a few. Hope it rains in Sept. so it will pick up again. Don't really look forward to doing leaves. I Am going to estimate on the high side on leaves for the one timers this year. Leaves always take longer than you think. I don't mind under estimating some on the regular accounts that use me for everything. I'll refer the "work all day for $50.00 people" to Tru-Green, Lawn Doctor, etc for leaves.

3. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

My season never ends...mid October or early November I switch to bi-weekly service. I don't do leaf cleanups though, we don't get very many here.

4. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

first, david I feel for you. 06' and 07' here were the driest I can remember. last year almost stopped mowing by July and never did pick back up the rest of the year. But this year completely opposite. We have had the wettest year on record. Can't believe its the 1st of Aug and I am double cutting a lot of yards like it is the middle of April.

As far as the season almost over, NA! Usually mowing well into Nov and won't be done with cleanups till Christmas. Season only half over for me. I use to physic myself out thinking I was almost done come the end of Oct, then the season would drag on and on.:cry: So now I wait for Thanksgiving before I start thinking about the end be near. I am able to stay more motivated that way

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

About the same story here, almost word for word...
    I've been doing what you speak of for some time, charging the least to
    regular customers who have been with me the entire season.

I will say this...
    Once I got the leaf thing down pretty good, it's not so bad.
    Took a few jobs thou

6. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, this season has been very quick.

I have to go back to school the 19th:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::nono::nono::nono::nono::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::confused:::confused:

But we don't stop cutting until about the second week of October. Then clean ups will occupy my time... Basically, I only plan on doing clean ups for mowing customers, and other customers who have had me do only their clean ups in the past, i'm really not looking for more clean ups this year... next year I should be better-equipped, so things will change.

I can't beleive the weather here. Normally this time of the year we are praying for rain... we haven't skipped a yard this whole season. We have been very lucky, both last winter, and this past summer.

-Mitch-

7. theWRIGHTcut

theWRIGHTcut LawnSite Member

mine went good... started the season off by doing my first patio and retaining wall as a legit business! then i gained 6 new clients, one of which has me doing concrete removal for his clients... so i guess i got my first glimpse of sub-contracting... this is only my second year in the industry and i feel like i'm going places... i got a 1988 F350 dump body, with the gear drive dump lift... instead of the electric ones which i've heard are aren't so hot! i'm going to pull together some extra dough to pick up a commercial carpet cleaner for this winter, i think it's a decent idea... i'll be working in a warm environment while it's cold out... and back to landscaping, next year i plan on getting another ride on... walk behinds are cool but, yeah you know :) ... oh and i picked up a 7 sq/ft catcher for my wright which works great! although i learned if i'm running mulching blades with a catcher i better be wearing a face mask! lol, good post though... gave me a chance to see how good things went this season...

8. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not done until after thanksgiving with a mix of mowing and aeration/ dethatching and that last year went into December

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

IF it rains, then I mow until sometime in November. Leaves start in December and end around January 10th. August and September are great months in normal weather. Grass slows down drastically in October. Heavy rain can keep things going until the first frost.

10. amdx64

amdx64 LawnSite Member
    from Vt

my mowing season usually goes till the middle to the end of october then i am cleaning up leafs the first two weeks in nov unless we get a early fall. april and may were very dry and the grass didnt grow much. :sleeping: june and july we had rain rain rain. grass wont stop growing having to mow every 4 to 5 days payup