1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

seating castor tires...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gogetter, Mar 22, 2002.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I did do a search on this. I found that some guys use a ratcheting tie down strap around the tire to spread the tire and start putting air in. Then loosen strap as air goes in until it's full.

Will this work with a 12v mini air compressor?. I think the one I was considering was called a Truckmate (?). It's has a higher psi then a Carmate.

One thread I saw mentioned that these small cigarette lighter inflators aren't powerful enough to seat the tire on the rim.
    Can someone confirm this? Even if the strap is used?

What other ways are there to seat the tire on the rim?
    I've read about the gas and a match method to sorta 'explode' the tire onto the rim. But I'm a bit skeptical about trying that one.

Any others? Thanks.
  2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not a "tire guy", so I can't speak from first hand experience here but I believe the problem with the 12V compressor is they are too slow - PSI isn't as much of an issue as volume (flow) of air. You want to get air in there "all at once", so to speak, to pop the bead into place.

I have also heard of the "explosion" :eek: method but not sure I wish to try it...................Don't know of any other methods but I have used the ratchet strap and (shop) air approach to seat a trailer tire (14.5" mobile home tubeless style) before.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I personally prefer using a small tire inflation strap.
    Can be bought at Gemplers for $50.00. If not a ratchet tie down works fine.

Or else you can get extreme by purchasing the Cheetah Bead Seating Tool. It is a compressed air tank that holds around 150lbs of compressed air. There is about a 2 inch round pipe, 14 inches long that comes out of the tank controlled by a valve.
    As you open the valve, air blasts out with enough strength to seat a tractor trailer tire. :D

According to my recollection, it's not gas. When I would seat backhoe tires, many moons ago, I would spray ether inside the tire till it was nice and full, and then standing back far enough I would flick a match at it.
    This obviously is not the safest method, but was the only method at my disposal. There are many hazards that go along with the ether trick. Fill the tire too full, and you will blow the tire off the rim. Then there is the fire issue. If you create a fire inside the tire, the ether will burn until there is no more oxygen. The problem here is the thin rubber membrane which makes the tire air tight can be ruined.

Quote: Will this work with a 12v mini air compressor?. I think the one I was considering was called a Truckmate (?). It's has a higher psi then a Carmate.

It all depends on how well you can seat the tire bead to the rim flange. Tip: Remove valve core from stem before inflation. It allows the air a direct route into the tire.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Thanks guys for the input.
    I just got back from Walmart where I picked up a 12v compressor for $20.
    If that doesn't do it (in conjuction with a strap), I'll stop somewhere and use an air hose.
    I figure for $20 the 12v compressor is probably good to have around anyway.

I almost bought on of those 7gallon air tanks for $18. But the thought of transporting it around changed my mind.

Thanks again.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

One of the best investments you can make, and carry on your trailer, is a portable air tank. The one I have is about 2 1/2 ft. long, and is about 1 ft. in diameter, and is MORE than enough for what I need. There is one just like it, but shorter. Even this would suffice well. Anyway, if you have a low tire, this puts air in it NOW and it works on higher pressure tires, too. As far as the caster tire thing; Come on! All you do is tie a loop in each end of a piece of rope, place it around the center of the circumference of the tire, and use a screwdriver through the two loops, and simply twist the driver around like a lever. I've even used a hunk of trimmer line when I didn't have rope, and didn't even have to cut it off of the spool. This is all you need - works great.;)
  6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Runner thanks for the input. I saw that portable air tank at Walmart. Only like $18, but I didn't want to cart it around all the time. I wanted something that I could carry in my truck for anytime, not just for work/equipment.
    However the 12v inflator didn't work to seat the tire. So I may have to get that tank for work after all !. My trailers small, but I'll have to make room I guess.
    The ratcheting tie down strap and air hose at a gas station did work great though.

Thanks all.
  7. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

You can tie a rope around the tire, soap up the tire and rim. Then you'll need at least a 5 gallon compressor to have enough volume to do the job. also remove the valve core so you'll get more volume rushing the tire. Buy a small contractor size compressor at Home Depot. Then you can but that air nailer too.
  8. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have been having a fit with a caster tire all weekend. I've never had a problem with one before. I tried using a strap, a rope, 2 ropes, with and without soap, and I even let the tire sit in the sun because I thought it might be too cold and stiff. It just won't seal. What gives?
  9. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

what are you using to air it up? a 12 volt compressor won't do it. you must remove the valve core also. once seated then put the core back in.
  10. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

sometimes those caster tires just wont bead up. Take some black sylicone caulk and run a bead on each side where tire meets the rim and it will pump right up.