Seating wall and fireplace

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jgrand, Jul 2, 2013.

1. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like I said, just because it was in the catalog does not mean it looks good or was built correctly. I understand homeowners see things in catalogs and want it, it's up to you to educate them and talk them into doing it right or not at all. I would love to see a link to the catalog that was in. I'm not starting "$h1t", the seat wall looks to low, the vertical supports are to far apart and the coping only overlapping the front looks funny.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Google Cambridge pavers. Probably the 2011 or 2012 catalog. The wall is 16", the vertical supports are centered under the joints in the caps. They didn't want a monstrosity of a wall in their yard, just a little something affordable that would provide some definition from the yard and quick seating. Aka exactly what they got.

Whats the code height for a seating wall? Whats the code vertical support spacing? Oh they don't have that do they.... So you're speaking from opinion. Which is ok. But don't state it as fact
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

RJ, buddy, you need to stop
    Defending yourself and lately you've taken a stance of arguing with me persistently.

The corner on your border is bad.

Have you ever heard the term "cornerstone"?!

I'm trying to open your eyes that your border corners are bad.

Do as you want. You can be the rookie contractor who doesn't know how to make borders. Or you can be the guy that knows how to give corners a knock out appearance. You can argue and argue or you can learn :)

It's up to you!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Corners bad.. DVS good.. Check
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Whenever a client thinks they want a seat wall around a firepit I remind them that every time you're around a fire, it's the same thing: scoot the chair forward, scoot the chair backward, scoot the chair forward... you rarely see a seat wall in my designs. Plus most of them are fugly.
  6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Formal seat walls with lighting are great if the design has them far enough back to acomadate arangeable seating around the feature.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Best way is to make a firepit and put chairs. Cause your moving em forward, then movin em backwards. Try that with a seatwall.
    DVS, you have a good point on the corners.
  8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Built in grills. Contractors are so proud to build them. Can't wait to post pictures. me - i think some are nice to look at, but i like a grill that you can roll around and move with the wind.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, or easily replace when beyond its time.
    Posted via Mobile Device