1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Seattle WA earthquake

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 65hoss, Feb 28, 2001.

1. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Are you guys in Seattle area ok after the big earthquake?
  2. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I just talked to my son who lives in Bothell(suburb)on the north side of Seattle and he said his house was "rockin" for a good 60 to 90 seconds. The only damage he saw was a broken cd when the cd rack fell on it. Lucky them. Lynn
  3. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, Thanks for asking.

I was driving on Interstate 5 just south of Seattle by the airport when it hit and at first I thought I had a flat tire, but I realized that the guy on the radio was yelling about THE BIG ONE and that he was under his desk, so I figured it out. I saw a pile of bricks from a storefront in the town of Renton on my way home but other than that nothing. My farm is 45 miles north of Seattle and we had one broken dish and nothing else even fell from shelves or walls. I know the news is playing it up big, but no one I know was affected other than that they felt it. The kids ducked under their desks at school and then went into the playground when it was over and did not miss any school--no injuries in any school. I do not want to say the media is overdoing it, but ...

Again, thanks for asking, Will
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Glad to hear your ok. What about Acute Cut and Scag 48, you guys ok??
  5. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

AcuteCut is another 50 miles north of me which is that much further from the epicenter and Scag48 is on the other side of the big hills [Cascade Mountains] and that much further away. TwoToros is also on that side although I hear they felt it over there.
    Powerreel and Nathan and a couple of others I can't think of were probably right there in Seattle [but so was I] when it hit. I've talked to another couple of people in the area and there were places where there was a fair amount of damage, but I haven't heard of a lot of real major stuff.
    Maybe they'll report in soon. Will
  6. EarthTech Landscapes

EarthTech Landscapes LawnSite Member

I was driving on I-90 heading to issaquah to go look at a clearing job that i got, Things began to roll and shake but everyone i know is fine.
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Hey Eric, Powerreel was probably punished enough by that earthquake. LOL. I bet he rather have an earthquake the be booted by Lawnsite. Maybe he has learned his lesson by now and can come back and play
  8. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I was in my vehicle on my way for a haircut when it rolled through and did not feel it. After my cut I went to my favorite mower shop and they felt it. Said they felt dizzy or sea sick. The shop got a small crack in a wall but some load speakers in a passing car could do that to his old building. A friend was over there painting on capitol hill (seattle) and his boss was on scaffolding . Yikes! Another friend owns a espresso stand in Redmond and she said most of her syrup bottles fell and broke and that the cars in the parking lot were really hopping. Sounded spooky for those guys.
  9. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Just checking in here too. Like it was said before, the ground shook and most everyone is now talking about"where were you when it happened" kinda thing. That is the extent of it around here. I was driving as well and did not feel it. When i got to my destination the ppl were all outside and talking about it. Glad to hear that everyone else is ok over here. I guess that it was just such a "Non-incedent" for me that i assumed that it was for everyone as well. They say the next one should be a 9.0 or something. That earthquake wil level Seattle right quick.