Second bout of theft in 90 days...want this guy in jail

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Nov 14, 2007.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Been in business nearly 5 full years. Never had as much as a screw driver stolen until this year.

Back in early August, a worker called and his line trimmer, stick edger and backpack blower had all been stolen from his trailer while he was working in the back lawn of a client's home.

Again, yesterday, one of my drivers called and both of his backpack blowers had been stolen. I gave him a spare.

He called a hour and a half later. Someone driving around in a white Buick sedan had seen him working on another street and offered to sell him 3 backpack blowers for $150 ea.

He took the guy's phone number and made arrangements to meet behind a Chevron station. He called me, we drove over there. I called 911. There were two of them. They showed him the blowers and the two Stihl blowers were mine. My worker recognized them. I walked around the back of the station, assuming I'd be able to start negotiating price until the squad car arrived. As soon as they saw the gringo coming around the corner, they closed the trunk, got in the car and drove away.

I recorded the plate number on their car.

I filed a police report. About an hour later, the cop called me on my cell. He needed my worker and I to come to an apartment complex to make an identification of the suspect.

When we arrived, there were 3 squad cars surrounding the white buick.

The kids father allowed the cops to search his car and his apartment. They found a RedMax blower in his apartment, but the Buick was empty. The father and the son both said they didn't know who's blower the RedMax belonged to, so the cop took it.

My worker explained that he had their phone number. They went inside the apartment and saw that a call had been made/received from the same number to the land line in the apartment.

Even with all this circumstantial evidence, they couldn't arrest the suspect. Had it been a felony, they could have, but not enought evidence for a misdemeanor. They wanted to arrest him. They even cuffed him and threw him in the back of the car when he mouthed off. But then they had to let him go 15 minutes later due to lack of evidence.

The suspect admitted meeting my worker behind the Chevron but he insisted he was just driving an errand for a friend...a friend who's name he couldn't remember and had no recall of how to get in touch with.

Basically, without stolen goods in their possession, there isn't enough evidence for a misdemeanor.

Anyway...if I can find the owner of this RedMax blower and get him to report it stolen, this kid would probably be facing 1 year in county jail...he has a previous theft conviction. You should have seen this little punk mouthing off to the cops. I'm failry liberal when it comes to prison and jail time and I can tell you this little baggy pants wearing punk needs to be behind bars for a while.

We looked all over the RedMax blower for serial number but couldn't find one. Where can we find it???? I'm bound and determined to find the owner of that blower!!!

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Since it's usually just on a little adhesive tag somewhere, you can probably find it on whatever knife or tool they used to scrape it off.

Don't you carry? Next time, wound the little bastards. (or, if you've recently dug a hole to dump trash in...then aim better)

3. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

DFW that is why we lock everything up on our trailers!!!

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Thats what I do. I never leave anything laying around for any amount of time unless I can visually see it. When I am finished it(weedeaters, blowers, mowers) goes straight to lockdown. I always keep the truck locked too

5. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

what do u guys do with enclosed trailers do u put ur ramp up everytime?

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Would you rather

A: put your ramp up every time and lock it
    B: go to the dealer (or internet) to buy new equipment every time somebody steals it

I'm pretty sure I would choose "A" anytime I or a competant employee is/am out of view of the trailer.

7. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

which is what i do with out a side door makes me alittle nuts but its gotta be worth the 400 bucks if a blower or trimmer or anything grows legs. note to self get enlosed trailer with side door

8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Gee... I think I might have gotten a Red Max blower stolen a couple days ago... It's all coming back to me now.