Second Chances

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by nosparkplugs, Jun 18, 2008.

1. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I just rehired IMO one of the most "gifted" guys I have come across in over seven years. I had to fire him three years ago, due to substance abuse, and I did try to work with him before I fired him back then. This guys work ethic/production, ZTR skills, weedeater skills etc is the equivalent of two lower paid employee's. earlier today i had a 2 hour interview with him on the requirements for rehire he agree'd.
  2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i give eveyone a second chance. if he was that good, and a few years past, you may be sitting pretty soon
  3. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Give him another shot if you think he has got his stuff together now.
  4. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

David is the king at letting guys have 2nd and 3rd needless to say, I am suspicious of every re-hire. And sometimes downright mad, depending on why they were fired.

For substance abuse... I'd keep communications open with the guy and watch for signs of using again. I guess, too, it'd depend on if he was drinking on the job or using illegal drugs. They have different effects on people. You just have to use judgment in each individual case.

I don't like giving 2nd chances to thieves, violent persons, or liars. Generally in the space of time they were fired and the time they came back to us asking, they could not have changed their personality enough not to be violent or liars anymore, and we can't afford theft.
  5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

you gonna give him a 3rd and 4th chance too? if not... dont even bother with a second. whatever reason.... when someones employment is terminated.... they are gone for good.
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you really protect your self.........

Knowleing putting someone out there that could do harm, the responsablity will fall back on you.....

Good Luck and I hope he makes it
  7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

So far things are going excellent, I'm caught back up on my accounts, and while this may be a risk, it's one risk I have discussed with several people within my business, and four people have agreed with me to rehire. It's real easy to post negative response's without knowing the person, and his skills. With so much corruption in corporate America, it's real easy to forget that employee's are human being's not a piece of meat. I value people, and even when I terminate someone I do it on postive terms, I have yet to terminate someone, and had one negative response from that employee. I came from a high stress, high profit, cut throat healthcare background. Were your boss would put a gun to your head a pull the trigger if it would make them more money. I had enough of those people, and now can make a differeance in someone's life with my own business. It's the most rewarding feeling to give some a second chance, and watch them excell. Oh, yes this does comes with risk? frankly most of you would not take; however my business philosipy has treated me well, and you cannot out give the big man above. Respect, and value of people stop and think, the money will come in time.
  8. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with your gut. I rehire past employees at times, as long as they didn't burn any bridges.

Sounds weird, but ex-convicts (drug crimes) and guys who have limited chances of getting hired elsewhere due to criminal records have made good employees for us.

No theives or violent behavior rehires though.