Second guessing my choice? Help!

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Andy_, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Andy_

Andy_ LawnSite Member

I just bought a Lazer AS 60" 25hp zero turn. Will take delivery later in the week.
    I am a homeowner and just found this site after making the deal on the AS 60".
    After reading some posts on here, I'm wondering if I made a bad choice as I've never owned a zero turn before and don't know much about them.
    My new concerns are:
    1. Did I go too big with the 60" deck? I have about 3 acres of yard and a rental property that is small but 60" fits through anywhere on it.
    2. Not many seem to have the AS? Is there something wrong with this model?
    3. I have 1 area with steep(about 40 deg) hill. Will I be able to cut this without problems? If so, sideways or up and down?

Thanks for any help, Andy

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

You didn't mess up. The AS series just does not have as many extra's as some of the more expensive Z's. I had one for years and it was a great unit. Perfect for a home owner even though I used mine comercially. The main difference is controls are between you legs, smaller tanks, not as many Exmark stickers, less expensive tires and not the high preformance air filter. It is basically the old original Z that put Xmark on the map. I would highly recomend you get the deck lift assist foot pedal. Very handy. I'm not sure if your 40 degree slope is safe for any ZTR. That's very steep and be careful. Are you shure it's 40 degrees? Any way the AS has the old Ultra Cut deck which in my opinion is the best deck ever built and its whay made Exmark the company it is today. GREAT CHOICE! Get the suspension seat upgrade if your lawn is very bumpy.

3. Andy_

Andy_ LawnSite Member

Here is a pic. Any suggestions? Or is it too steep?

yard pics 001 (Medium).jpg

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Up and down on that should be fine. It's not a very big area, side to side might be ok too.. but try up and down if possible. And yeah, like the other person said, get the foot assisted deck lift (should be about $100 or so). A 60" deck will wear you out fast lifting it only by hand.

5. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Definately get the foot assist because you gonna need it at the top of the hill so you don't scalp the top of it.

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I do steeper than that up and down on my toro z and toro makes exmark.

As you crest that hill the mower will want to scalp. Be VERY carful and become familiar inside and out with your z before attempting to mow that hill.

That doesnt really look like 40 degrees to me. As for if you bought too big of a mower ? If your short on time no you didnt. I really preffer a 48 on yards such as yours as it seems to scalp less and fit in just the right areas. a 60 will be faster however I have no problem mowing my 3 acres in just over an hour on a 48 z.

I cut several properties that are multiple acres just using the 48z and a 48 scag wb. Most of our properties are lesss than flat so the 48 made more sence for us. We used to run a 61. This by far leaves a nicer finish in my opinion

7. Andy_

Andy_ LawnSite Member

Do you have any problem getting close to things with the 48"? I just thought the deck being wider would stick out past the machine and make trimming easier?

8. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

good choice. Like said above, the AS is the advantage series. Basically it's a stripped down Full Size Lazer without all the extras.

That hill is steep, but up and down should be ok as long as it isn't wet. Check your oil before every use.

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Not really... The deck is offset on the frame on the trim side. It doesnt overhang as much as a 60 (prolly 6 to 7 inches less) but it also wont gouge high spots around things near as fast as a 60.

If you already bought the 60 an are happy with the price then go with it. With a yard like yours I would preffer the smaller mower. Im sure many other guys would preffer a 60 tho.

I personally would of tried to demo it if I wasnt sure what I wanted. I dont think your going to save that much time on a 60 vs the 48 if your just doing the 2 mid sized properties.

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Thats not too steep. Mow up and down when dry.