Secondary trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greenkeepers, Jun 24, 2000.

1. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Hi everbody,<p> We have been in the marked for a secondary trimmer now that old faithfull weedeater finally gave out. I really like the power of the FS-85 but that is sometimes a little overkill for some of the quick, small jobs. That thing also gets mighty heavy after using it all day. So I would like some input on what you guys use. I like stihl products but was also maybe thinking about an echo? Thanks for the help in advance and hope to meet some of you at the Expo.<p>Mark<br>GREENKEEPERS

2. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I had an echo for sometime now it is my backup. I used to use all echo but they have to many little problems with them like stater ropes breaking and so on. I bought a sthil FS-85 and couldn't be happier with it other than the fact it is a little hard to start. I don't find it to be any heivier than my echo. You might want to look into the FS-80 it has the same motor and all the parts are the same other than the flex shaft the FS-85 has a solid shaft but they have a lifetime warranty on both and the FS-80 is about 40.00 cheaper.

3. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

get the redmax 2300 for about $275-$300 <br>you will never regret it<br>

4. BRET

BRET LawnSite Member

JUST A THOUGHT, BUT I HAVE FOUND OUT THAT EQUIPMENT LIKES AND DISLIKES ARE BEST FOUND OUT BY TRIAL AND ERROR. WE USE ECHO PRODUCTS. HAVE ABOUT 50 PIECES USED DAILY BY THREE CREWS. HAVE BEEN IN THE BUSINESS FOR OVER THIRTEEN YEARS. STARTED WHEN STIHL ONLY HAD CHAINSAWS AND ECHO WAS ORANGE COLOR. BEST TWO CYCLE THEN WAS GREEN MACHINE. HAVE USED STIHL AND HAVE LIKED IT. SAME WITH SHINDAWA AND REDMAX. THEY ARE ALL GOOD EQUIPMENT. WE USE THE SMALLEST PIECE OF TWO CYCLE FOR OPERATOR COMFORT. IF IT IS BEING EDGED AND LINE TRIMMED EVERY WEEK THEN WE ONLY USE 24CC TO MAINTAIN. DONT GET ME WRONG THE 30+ CCS ARE NICE BUT YOU CANT LINE TRIM A TEN ACRE PROPERTY FOR 5 HOURS. JUST A THOUGHT I HAVE ONE STIHL BR400 BLOWER. I THINK IT IS THE FINEST BLOWER ON THE MARKET. HAVE 6 OTHER ECHO BLOWERS. OUR EQUIPMENT IS ALL 6 MONTHS OLD OR NEWER. THE ECHOS HAVE NEVER BEEN DOWN BUT THE STIHL HAS LOST THE SPRING THAT HOLDS THE FRAME AND THE RECOIL ROPE HAS BROKE THREE TIMES. BAD ROPE BUT IM SURE ALL COMPANYS USE THE SAME ROPE. HAVE NEVER HAD A PIECE OF MY ECHOS DOWN EXCEPT FOR THE SPARK ARRESTOR SCREENS CLOGGING UP. WE REMOVE AS PART OF OUR MAINT. PROGRAM. HOPE THIS HELPS. MOST EQUIPMENT SHOPS WILL LET YOU DEMO EQUIPMENT FOR FREE. BEFORE WE GOT TO THE SIZE WE ARE NOW I HAD A GREAT RELATIONSHIP AND WOULD ALWAYS USE THEY'RE EQUIPMENT WHEN I NEEDED EXTRA PIECES. BRET

5. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

CHECK OUT THE NEW KAWASAKI TRIMMERS LESCO IS NOW SELLING, IMO THEY ARE VERY LIGHT. QUICK STARTING AND THE LOW-TONE MUFFLER IS VERY QUIET. THEY GO FOR ABOUT 280-350 DEPENDING ON THE MODEL. I USE 1 FS-85 ITS NEW SO STSRTING HASN'T BECOME AN ISSUE YET. ONE THOUGHT TO CONSIDER, I ALSO HAVE ONE OF THE ECHO SPLIT BOOM TRIMMERS, VERY HANDY IF YOU NEED TO ADD AN ATTACHMENT.

6. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

First off, what's with all the Caps? Secondly we use two HomeLites as our backups. We use Shindiawa T-230 for frontline trimmers. The HomeLites are cheaper ($89) and fairly reliable. As a backup they see very little use, maybe 1-2 hours a month. The $250 for the T-230 is worth the money for a frontline trimmer, its much faster, lighter and durable than HomeLite but I can't justify spending that kinda cash on a back-up trimmer. Besides, with the Shin, we don't anticipate needed it that much. :)<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida

7. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I use echo srm 2400 trimmers and I like them. I think that the srm 2100 would be a good backup trimmers for only 200.00 they sould last forever as a back.

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have a pulan homeowner model as a backup,Ive never needed it yet,but the day i leave it home is the day Ill need it.I bought a new Kawasaki 26cc trimmer.It is an awesome trimmer,I tried the stihl,and redmax first,the kawi is lighter,much smoother and quieter than both by a lot.Oh yeah,its also very powerful and starts with 1/2 a pull everytime.I love this thing,and am very pleased with it so far.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Why mess with different brands? I have two Shindiawa T-230's for myself. Switch machines each month, so they are both being used. If you have a backup that you rarely use, how do you count on it when it is needed? Also makes it easier for parts. Have one spare spool that fits in both, so never need to wind line on a jobsite.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana