1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Secret Organic Fertilizer Formulas!!!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ITRY, May 31, 2005.

1. ITRY

ITRY LawnSite Member
    from KY

My company historically has done only synthetic fertilizer applications for lawn care. However, in the last 2-3 years I have been using only Ringer fertilizer on my yard (2-3 apps. / yr) with decent results. I keep hearing that products obtained from the feed store work just as well. However, I am in the dark about which products to use (ie. blood meal, alfalfa meal, cottonseed meal, wheat bran, cracked corn, molasses, etc...). Also, I'm not a farmer, so are these materials really readily available at my local feed store. So what are some of the homemade formulations that seem to work well for you guys? I don't however want to dispell anyone's secret formulas! This is something that I would try on my own yard for 2-3 years before ever offering it commercially.

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Yes they work very well. Getting them to pass through a broadcast spreader in the right size pellet is the problem, but with some research and time spent with a knowledgeable millwright this can be resolved :)

3. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

get 50 lb bags of cornmeal from the feedstore and put it down at 15-20lbs/1000sf and let us know in three months how good the lawn looks. Never have to worry about it burning and it acts as a natural fungicide as well.

I also put the alfalfa pellets out with a rotary spreader with no problem. I do it just before it rains and it causes the pellets to fall apart and keeps the rabbits and rodents from feasting on it.

I had a relationship with the local feed store that if they had water damaged bags or old feed I could get it for real cheap or free. Lawn doesn't care.

4. ndunn

ndunn LawnSite Member

Cracked corn and alfalfa pellets at the rates stated above. Not really a secret formula. The secret formula crowd, from what I can tell, tends to use compost teas and spray applications. But that's more of a pain in the butt for me than it's worth. Haven't had any problem getting pellets to broadcast either. For a good intro guide check out some Rodale press books. If you've used chem. ferts for years you may also want to check out your soil before you come up with a specific program. You can use soybean meal or corn gluten meal if you must have that green burst similar to the chem. ferts.

If the soil is healthy, it will work.

5. ITRY

ITRY LawnSite Member
    from KY

Thanks for the help guys.

6. ITRY

ITRY LawnSite Member
    from KY

Are there any other things that are working for anybody else?

7. FLD

FLD LawnSite Member

We use teas mostly. The seem to work pretty well for us and it is a lot easier to carry around. A 275 gal tank and a sprayer doesn't take up that much room and you can treat a min of 5 ac with it.

8. out till dark

out till dark LawnSite Member

I use sustane and i really like it alot

9. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

how about over seeding with clover?

clover edge.jpg

10. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

How do you get rid of clover and other weeds using an organic means? Do you take a soil sample and use lime, sulfur and or pot ash? Is using these products still a means of controlling soil ph organically? I have gotten conflicting information.