Secret to success

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by BeastMowed, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

Agree about mowing. I think it depends on your georaphic location a lot. People who think it's low margins might be in an area where there is too much competition and they can't understand how some of us are happy with our margins. Like you said its steady and more predictable.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Simple solution. You need to increase your prices. Some customers will drop you, so be it. Who cares if you have 100 lawns to cut if you are not making enough money? Spend time analyzing each lawn in terms of time vs price. Crank up the pricing on the bad ones and move on.

I would rather cut 50 profitable lawns with 2 employees.

3. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a pretty bold statement and I disagree, but to each their own. There has been countless posts about what the best crew size is for mowing and everyone has their own opinion.

4. ManuelMowing

ManuelMowing LawnSite Member

Not too far up the road from you. Do you have 2 trucks with 2 people at each? I have discovered that anything over 3 people at once is really a waste on most yards. Unless the property is big or you are doing more than mowing there will always be somebody standing around. Also if you are traveling from yard to yard you have a lot of down time where you are paying people to sit around. Might be worth dropping a few lawns and going down to one crew.

5. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Wish I was as good at writing as some in this thread. Anywho, mowing lawns solo for 28 years has put me in a league of my own! Or I mean a league with you all. :cool2:

6. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in the same boat, believe my average priced lawn is around $45. Two man crews I've found are the best way to make money at lawn mowing. I used to solo cut and while it's better money than a 2 man crew, I was absolutely whooped every night.

I believe my margins on mowing are about the same as landscaping.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Have you timed each yard? What are your rates and why? Have you figured out your overhead recovery cost per hour? Only when you truly know your costs can you start to make a profit.

8. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly. I time mine every week
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Spend about $150 in gas every week, nat. :confused:

10. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

Mowing is profitable for me too. I'd love to get into design work, I'm just tired of bending over whenever I want something from my state. It already hurts as it is.

There is money to be made in mowing. It's a numbers game. Spending tens of thousands of dollars to mow a lawn for $35 isn't going to make you money. Spending money on things you want vs what you need isn't going to make you money. There are certain mowers for certain lawns....and there is such thing as overkill.