Secretary at insurance agency insists I don't need workman's comp.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by procut, Sep 5, 2006.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, I have a part time employee thats works anywhre from 12-25 hours a week. I go to the insurance agency to add him to my policy and the secretary tells me to 1099 him. I could not convince her that it was illegal and not the correct way of doing things. She proceeded to tell me that if he is 1099 he is responsible for himself and I have no responsibility at all if he is injured. I told her, no I had an attorney tell me I can be sued 4X the amount of the damages if he is injured because I chose to not have workmans comp. She talked to me like I was some kind of ****** for not "just 1099 'ing him". I said no he is an empoyee not a subcontractor. She still couln't see why I wanted to buy workmans comp. and sat their shaking her head and rolling her eyes at me. I think it time for a new insurance agency.
  2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree.
    Sounds like she has a problem with someone thats not trying to cheat.
    I had trouble with my agent when I first started out, he really didn't want to give me a quote for liability, after I got another quote, then he decided he better figure something out. he kept saying " You need 3 years tree service experience before I can insure you for stump grinding.
  3. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

key word here...............
    dontl et it get you down man thats why she is "the secretary" and not the AGENT. if it comes down to it get a new agent i dont blame you. they should sell you something that you feel you need, afterall its ur arse not hers. i wouldnt second guess yourself on getting that policy though.
  4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Very true, the agent wasn't in the office. I did tell her to go a head and get the policy, and she reluctantly agreed. Here I am doing things the right way, and her the insurance lady, of all people tells me to cheat.
  5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

This should serve as a lesson to everyone to check and double check the validity of the information you receive.

Realize your swimming with the big fish when you start a business of your own. "I didn't know" or "they told me" just wont cut it.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

was she part time help and blonde? :laugh:
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Report her dumb azz to the agent and see what the agent has to say about his secretary claiming this.
  8. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Did yoy have a bad day today with people in general? Nothing but negative in 2 posts Ive read from you today.... Dam have a beer or something:drinkup:
  9. Firefly Lighting

Firefly Lighting LawnSite Member

Why don't you take your business else where? Maybe they will listen then. I have Selective and they are great.
  10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

She is wrong if the guy is on your payroll have wcomp. A 1099 is for someone else that is in business themselves providing a service for you. I have a guy who does all of my trucking for me haul in and haul away he is in the trucking business next jan. he will get a 1099 from me. Another body of mine has a dozer and in the excav. business when i need a dozer i call him in jan. he will get 1099 also. My employee weather he works 8 or 50 hours a week he is covered by my w. comp. policy. Dont let your employee own your home and business if he gets hurt. Go to the next ins. co. in yellow pages some one real soon will sell you ins/