Secretary??????

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Larson Lawn Care, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Alright, I have 65 accounts as of right now. I put an ad in the yellow pages that should bring in lots of leads. I currently have my secretarial duties split between my grandma and mom. I had them doing everything except for answering the phone. I will not be able to answer the phone or make phone calls, I will be way too busy for that. I don't think I want my g.ma or mom to continue to be my secretaries...it's the whole family working for family thing! I plan to hire someone. I put an ad on an online classifieds forum, I have been getting lots of calls. The job will not be available until the end of march, and also, I have no clue if I will need them at all. My yellow pages ad is fairly big, its orange, and it definately stands out over all others in the directory. So basically I am trying to get opinions on whether I should hire a secretary or not. The main thing I need them for is to answer the phone because I am horrible at getting back to people in a timely manner. Do any of you smaller companies have secretaries, or do you do it on your own?

2. Earthworks Landscaping

Earthworks Landscaping LawnSite Member

I would hold off on hiring a secretary until you know for sure that the yellow pages ad will bring an unreasonable amount of calls that you can' handle yourself. I think an alternate option would be to hire a answering service to field your calls. That would be a good place to start......

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Easy on the secretary. what are you going to pay this girl better off getting some help you on the field?

4. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

Yellow pages may not bring you alot of work but if you dont answer the phone they are going to go right down the line to the next one. If you do doorhangers also then you my see enough calls come in to justify hiring a secretary.

5. Larson Lawn Care

What would I need to do to find an answering service?

6. Earthworks Landscaping

Earthworks Landscaping LawnSite Member

I would start in your local yellow pages and look under "telephone answering svc.". Its the same services that doctors and lawyers use during after hours. When you set up service, you can choose 24hour answering services or any other specified time. I use a service m-f from 8-6pm. from March-October. They can relay the messages in a voicemail type format or my preference is a daily email. Also, if the call is important, they will page me or send me a text. I find it very very helpful plus its one less person to hire and it 100% tax deductible!!

Good luck.....

7. Larson Lawn Care

I'm figuring on getting at least 60-75 calls this season for new customers, setting up that many estimates will be quite hard for me. Not only do I have the ad in the yellow pages, but I have 1500 door hangers as well, and I plan to do some other advertising also.

8. Larson Lawn Care

Thanks man, just out of curiousity, how much does that run you?

9. There comes a time when you will have to bite the bullet and get someone to tend the phones and books. I've been doing all the phone calls, estimating, billing and some of the outside work the last 10 years. I've had a lady working part time, about 10-15 hours/ week paying my bills and doing the accounting. My time has now come, where I feel I will need a full time office assistant. Up until Dec. '07 we had 400+ accounts. After acquiring a huge city mowing account, which will double our revenue each year for the next 4 years, I've decided to relieve myself of certain office duties and concentrate on acquiring more work and doing more estimating to help offset the added expenses. This is what the owner should be doing. why do all the paperwork when he can pay an office clerk an hourly wage and go out and snag a few more contracts worth thousands.

10. Larson Lawn Care

That's a lot of accounts to have to only have someone helping 10-15 hours a week. Did you get out in the field, or just have crews out?