1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

secure your equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meathead1134, Jun 16, 2006.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Most of you guys now that I'm a part timer. Well I was on my way home from my full time job yesterday and I noticed I pickup towing an open trailer with all kinds of lawn equipment at the lights off the highway. He just came off of Route 95 south. (for you local guys it was the lights by N Attleboro industrial park and route 95) Anyways I pull along side him because we have a red light I look over and noticed that not 1 piece of equipment is tied done or secured :realmad: :realmad: come on people secure your stuff. His hedge clipper was on the open trailer floor by the gate moving around as he took off. By the time I noticed the light turned green and off we went. I was going to say something to him but I didn't have time. My liability insurance would have loved me If I made a claim because of unsecured equipment
  2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I see landscaping companies pass me everyday with trailers loaded and nothing strapped down. I was starting to wonder if i was the only one who does it.
  3. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

My equipment and setup is my investment. I will not lose the items necessary for me to make a good living by ignorance on my part. Not having your equipment locked down and/ or cabled is foolish. Once I'm done with a piece, it gets locked up right then and there. No questions. I guess for some with super low crime rate it may be a different story, but not here. People on certain sides of town need there crack money, and they'll do what it takes.
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you see our mowers strapped down? NOPE and while we are working I see at least 20 other crews every single day and in our 20 years of doing this we have never seen anybody with mowers strapped down unless somebody was useing a trailor with no sides. Our blowers sit on the floor behind the WB and the weedeaters in the bed of the truck.

5. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's not what liability insurance covers. Comprehensive insurance covers this.

Liability insurance covers damage that you inflict on someone else.
  6. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Prostreet, who do you think is going to buy you new mowers when some idiot with no insurance runs a stop sign and you t-bone him. Your mowers and equipment will be in your truck with your trimmers, if not in the cab with you. I was in an accident once and there was a flashlight laying on the seat. The flashlight left a perfect round hole in the windshield, think about what your mowers would do.
  8. One of Three

One of Three LawnSite Member

I think the main purpose of securing equipment, at least for me, is for regard for thieves. Even if it's rope tied to a brick around your equipment (not that mine is), it will help...though not likely in a rollover. Not much can help you there.
  9. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to secure my 21" mower I tie it to my roof racks other wise it will roll all over the place. The rest of the equipment doesn't need to be tied. I have a cable to lock it up against thieves but its unlikely a trimmer will blow out of the trucks bed.
  10. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

I own a small lawn care outfit outside Atlanta. I work in law enforcement full-time, keep in mind that if and when you have an accident, or items leave the confines of the trailer, you will most likely get a citation for failure to secure load, regardless of who is at fault in the accident.

My guys are required to secure everything but the walk behinds and the ZTR’s. I require this and plan for “unlocking” time when I make up the service route. Only a matter of time until some less understanding cop see’s your truck / trailer (thinking illegals on-board, no driver’s license, no proof of insurance, failure to wear seat belts) and then it’s all over. Unsecured equipment is prima-facie evidence and a great “safety ticket” to write. Just my 2 cents worth! Oh yea, where’s the DOT number commercial guy?