Securing a base with 4' of fill dirt?? picture

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by alexschultz1, Nov 27, 2011.

1. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

we just finished a similar project.....piles of clean stone..........plate compacted

2. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

i feel like im getting in over my head, is this something i should sub out or am i making it out to be more difficult than it actaully is. I have plenty of experience with small installs and i do good clean work, however when it comes to large projects i feel like i have no idea on how to bid it.

3. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't feel comfortable doing this by yourself is there a friend/contractor that you can partner up with? My excavator will help me when I get a bigger job like this.

4. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope not really, I guess it's time I start making new friends but how would you split it up? do you make a profit over the jobs you sub out to him or do you split it evenly?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

We'll look and estimate the job together and he will tell me what he wants or he will do it hourly. Than I submit an estimate based on his numbers and what I need. It's not alway's going to workout since some guys are cheaper that own thier equipment. Since we are good friends a lot of times we trade work if it's workable.

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Bring in dirt in foot lifts leveling off between lifts. Use the grid and stone along the wall per design specs. Use a plate compactor or jumping jack compactor or sheeps foot between each lift.

If your buddy is bring the equipment bring him along and you two work out some sort of agreement before drafting your quote.