Securing all the handheld stuff

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well goody for me, I'm already thinking about winter projects... and about next season.

On topic on the brain is the rig setup for next year, and the end of daylight savings time also has me thinking of simplification. One thing being all of the handheld stuff.

I'm trying to decide how I want to do this setup and I haven't really ironed things out yet. I've thought of decking an open trailer out with everything you can think of. But at the same time, I'm not sure about it because I don't want it to turn out looking all "Sanford & Son" with stuff hanging all around it, and also sorta defeating the purpose of the open trailer setup.

I've been thinking about making a custom bed insert for this truck, and adding a fiberglass camper shell. Maybe not a 'contractor' shell, but maybe something sleeker. Smooth, cab height, with no side windows... or maybe those one-piece 'windoors' things.

Everything would be secure and dry to boot and I really wouldn't have to concern myself at all with anything at the end of the day. Great for times of the year like NOW.

I was thinking about a custom bed insert to house and secure all the POWER equipment and maybe the sprayers... lined up next to the tail gate. And then maybe some other access features I dream up along the way.

Not sure rather I want to go this route or the other way.
    I'm open to suggestion.

What are some of you guys doing to simplify life as an LCO?
  2. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I just have the trimmer rack, cooler rack, and blower rack on my trailer. I have a 2x8 that is ran about 2 1/2 feet away from the front of the trailer, and in between that space i have my gas cans, 5 gallon bucket (trash can), and a little crate that i have all my weedeater string and misc stuff in...

I like the setup I have except for the cooler rack, the cooler hangs off the trailer 3 inches, and I'm already about taking out mail boxes as it is..

What I have works absolutely grate, except I want a nice toolbox for the truck bed to put coats, tools, and other misc. in that since its lockable and would keep my stuff dry...
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Your's looks like a nice roomy setup.

I however will be running a condensed 'mini-me' verson of your setup I think.
    Smaller shorter white ford truck XLT, shorter black single axle trailer... probably.

What brand racks are those?

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey find yourself some one who knows how to weld unless you do and have them weld your own racks I have them on my trailer I will get some pics for you they are simple and everyone of them locks. There is two b/p blower racks and a three w/e rack all welded to the trailer. Then you can pick up one of those tounge boxes for $50.00 that attaches to the tailer too.
  5. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I like the thinking on your idea of the truck cap and a rack inside the rear of the truck. There are times, Like now in the fall, that the only thing I need to do at a property is edge, bed edge and blow, now mowing at all. So having said that, am having to either carry an entire trailer I do not need, or put the power hand tools in the bed of the truck with no security.

Now, I do not want a truck cap, but if you do not mind them, it would be a nice setup.

I built and welded my own racks for my trimmers and blowers for inside my trailer. Not hard to do if you have the tools. If you put racks on the trailer, I would try to keep them all on one side (an possibly the front) and keep the other side completely free so that you do not loose much of the open trailer feel that you mentioned.

Really, a trimmer rack, blower rack, shovel/rake rack and maybe a sprayer rack is all you need and you can get that on one side and the front easily.

Whatever you decide, you will like it and it will work for you.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Oh, don't get me wrong... I don't exactly "want" a camper shell either.
    But from several angles it does seem really practical.
    Full time dry secure storage even when you don't want to tag the trailer along.

I have also entertained the idea of a lockable 'dry box' setup for the front of the trailer. But that's certainly NOT a build that seems easy like the mesh cages.

Shucks... I don't know.
    Just bouncing around some ideas.
  7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I had a camper shell on my other truck and liked it for keeping the honest man honest. It was also nice when doing some fert applications, if it came a shower of rain everything was dry, If I didnt get done by dark then it was covered and I didnt have to unload it when I got home.

I added a landscape basket to my 12 and 16 foot trailer.I put the hand blower in it to start the day off, a tarp, small rake and 2 gas cans, and my 7001 blower( havent made a rack for it yet). On the basket I have the blower rack (stihl ) made to the basket and the water cooler bracket. On the back side of the basket I have E-track across it that I can strap something if needed. I fold up my Cyclone rake when I carry both mowers and strap it to the basket.

In the bed of the truck I have a tool box that is the width of the truck and about as tall as the body, I keep my attatchments for the stihl in it plus a chainsaw, and mini air compressor and hedge trimmer, and the handblower goes in it at night.

9. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

They do make a folding canvas type camper shell, that you can use when needed and fold down when you don't. Sort of like a soft top on a jeep.
  10. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Should not be all that hard. Basicly the same design as the Mesh Cages, just weld in solid sheet steel instead of the expanded metal and there you are. I can see the cost and the difficulty of the work to be pretty much equal. Just a thought...

I like my enclosed trailer and I can carry a TON of stuff on a daily basis. However, there are time that I do not need that much but I do not want to give up the security of the trailer that I have gotten used to.