securing customers for next year

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by liquidforcedude7, Aug 9, 2005.

1. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

How do you guys change over from year to year?? like at the beginning of this year I called everybody I had in 2004 and asked them If they wanted for me to cut it this year. How do yall make sure that you keep customers from year to year?¿?
  2. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

Personally, I have no experiance since 2006 will be my first year, but, I know Justmowit keeps mowing their lawns until they cancel the service.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I start asking everyone about September. I'll look for the property managers, owners, etc., when I'm there mowing, stop and talk with them, make sure they were happy with how the year went.

I'll double check with them that they're on board with next year barring any large increase with pricing, and those that I want to increase I'll feel them out with saying I'm thinking about raising rates 10% or whatever due to increase in supplies.

Pretty much feel them out, and tell them I'll bring new bids in around Jan. / Feb. for formal prices, but am checking to make sure they're on board, so I know if I have to bid new stuff for next year or not.

If you wait until Jan / Feb to just drop off bids, then the customer waits until March / April / grass is 6" tall, you've already missed the window to get new work, if that's what you need.
  4. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

You can write in fine print in your contract that it automatically renews itself unless the customer calls to cancel.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I send out letters a month before spring cleanups usually begin. They like it and appreciate it. So, i am going to keep doing it. I do like the idea of jtrice11.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We send out our referral letters in mid/late March every year. I will know immediately if there are any cancellations.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I send out " reconfirmation" letters in february. And if they don't sign up I go knock on the door and say. 'ey Goombah yous gonna 'ave my soivice cuz yous nevva know what can happen to you............ or you landscapin.
  8. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I send out renewal SERVICE AGREEMENTS in late DECEMBER. I have a FEB 1st deadline to receive them back from client to get the RATE stated in SERVICE AGREEMENT. If later then that their rate will be $xx per mowing. This way the have an INCENTIVE to send it back. If they DON'T send it back by then, I just start cutting when appropriate because I have an AUTOMATIC RENEWAL CLAUSE in their OLD SERVICE AGREEMENT. (They have to send written notice to cancel...with 30 day advance notice.) ((This'd be surprised!))

Anyway, I know by beginning of FEB how many spaces I'll have in my schedule to fill with NEW customers at the NEW rate.

9. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

good info, thanks. What % stay with you guys?
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've had 100% retention for the last 8 years now.

Even with manager changes, ownership changes.