securing equipment on trailers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeLT1Z28, Sep 8, 2002.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

for those with open trailers, do you chain/strap your stuff down? a friend of mine on the local sheriff's dept was commenting on how i needed to get a heavy duty strap or chain to tie my walker to the trailer. i asked why and he said if i had a wreck, my fault or not, and the mower somehow came off the trailer, if someone hit it or it hit them, i could be sued.

what do you guys use?
  2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I used to only strap my WB down if I was going to take the expressway. However, after hearing a few stories on this board, I now take the extra time to secure my WB and push mower every time. I used a ratchet-type nylon tie-down strap. They're not expensive. You can get at any hardware or auto parts store. Make sure you get them heavy duty enough for the load. The only thing I secure in my truck bed in my blower using a bungee so it doesn't slide around.
  3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I use ratchet-type nylon straps on the ZTR and W/B to keep them from 'hopping around' due to bumps and potholes. I also use thick logging chains w/ heavy Master locks to deter would be thieves.

All handheld equipment and gas containers have a thick "Kryptonite" plastic-coated steel cable tying them together...and locked with a Master lock.

The trailer itself is locked to the truck.

It seems that most of the thieves who steal lawn equipment are of the chickensh*t, 'snatch-and-run', anything to hinder them is better than nothing at all.

Everything goes into the locked, alarm-equipted garage (at my home) at night.

Several guys who don't lock their stuff down has lost it to 'drive-by' thieves in my area...mostly blowers and trimmers...typical "pawn shop fodder'. :angry:

It is sort of a PITA locking and unlocking stuff all day...but not as bad as going for your EB7000...only to realize that it has suddenly 'disappeared'.
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i use this on my walkbehind because i dont take it off a lot. i usually dont strap down my ztr, but these wheel clamps come in real handy. you can put them on quickly and take them off quickly
  5. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen guys just wrap a chain arouund one of the railings on an open trailer, drill a holle on the side of their caster arms and hook up the chain through the hole on the caster. It's simple, inexpensive, and does the job.
  6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a 2" heavy duty nylon ratchet strap that are about $20 a piece. I hook it onto 5000 lbs. floor anchors (which I found for $9). It works pretty good.

I wouldn't use those 1" nylon tie downs (especially the pull-to-tighten kind). I have had them break.

Here is a pic of what I use:

7. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

We weld on D-rings to our equipment and use system 7 rated chain(DOT requirement for chain). Ratcheting straps are also a good way to go, however buy high quality straps, some straps from other countries may say they are rated to a certain load, but fail to meet those load ratings when tested.
    FYI, if you can not find a rating stamp on chain(about every 7 links) or if it is damaged; it will not qualify as a rated chain. For straps, they must have a load rating tag sewn in to the strap and be free of any nicks, cuts, or abraisions to qualify as a rated strap.