Securing Fuel Tank?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bighornjd, Apr 4, 2011.

1. bighornjd

bighornjd LawnSite Member

I feel like a true professional now, I finally put a fuel transfer tank in the back of my pickup.:laugh: 5 gallon cans were getting old and the lack of filtration always bothered me...

On to my question: Everything I read says the tank is supposed to be secured to the bed. It's a steel L-shaped tank - 100gal. It has two mounting tabs with holes in front and back. There is no way to access the front ones once the tank is in the bed.:dizzy: My crossover toolbox sits up about 2 inches off the bed sides now. I stacked 2 pieces of 1" aluminum square tubing to fill the gap and through bolted them through the box and the bed sides to secure the toolbox. My bed is Rhino-lined and the tank won't hardly slide even when I want it to, and it's still empty. I don't see how it can go anywhere with the toolbox holding it, especially when it has fuel in it. Obviously if I rolled the truck, it could be a different story and it would likely come out. But I can't figure out how to get bolts in the front of the tank, and I don't see how just doing the back will help much in that scenario. I don't really want the holes in my bed unless absolutely necessary. What does everyone else do and do you think it will be fine the way it is? Thanks.

Pic - probably not much help:
    [​IMG]

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Just bolt the tabs down that can be reached, when I helped my brother do one of this trucks, we pre-drilled the holes that we couldn't reach with a slightly bigger hole, and used 2 12" socket extensions and some blind nuts to hold those down.

3. icex

icex LawnSite Senior Member
    from WV

Around here they use ratchet straps to secure them in the back of company leased trucks.

4. bighornjd

Well thanks for the quick replies, unfortunately I don't like the sound of either of your ideas...:laugh:

Nothing personal...:laugh:

5. icex

from WV

Actualy the ratchet straps are effective. May be your only option, that or bolt it which you said you don't want to do.

6. bighornjd

I'm looking for something rather permanent, that looks good, but I don't want it to be a royal PITA if I want to take it out. I guess I should really bolt it in, it just seems like the PITA I'm trying to avoid. I guess I might as well though, afterall i did go ahead and hard wire the pump to the battery and put a toggle switch in the cab... I'll come up with something.

7. icex

from WV

I hear ya, we are going to mount a 100 gallon fuel tank on our tag trailer and run electrical hookups to the back of the dump truck we buy and then just use a plug to hook the pump up when we need it, that way it is secure on the trailer.

8. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

My 100 gallon tanks been sitting in the back of my truck for 7 years now and its not moved any and there's nothing holding it in place. I've got a tool box like yours too and that is secured to the truck but there's still a 2" gap between the side of the tank and tool box where I keep the hose and I've never seen it move.

9. bighornjd

Do you have a bed liner if so what kind? I could see a plastic liner or bare metal bed maybe allowing it to slide, but you can't hardly get icecubes to slide on this dang Rhinolining. It actually pisses me off sometimes trying to load or unload stuff cause you can't slide it. Bout killed myself trying to get a d@mn 6ft skidsteer toothbar in there the other day. I just got back from my father-in-laws on an extremely bumpy back road, tank still empty, and it didn't budge at all. I think I might just let it ride the way it is then. If it works for Chris I'm sure it will for me. Thanks all.

10. 5speedpsd

5speedpsd LawnSite Member
    from NWCT

never straped mine in in the pickup. I take it in and out all the time and its fine I always have a little fuel in there which is just enough to hold it maybe 10 gallons. mine is only a 50 gallon but theres nothing around it either, no tool box. its the cube so it can't fall over. Just took it out today for the first time since mid december hadn't moved an inch. I have a plastic bed liner also and it doesnt slide. The only time I would worry about it is if the truck were to roll over. Personally I would just leave it alone, maybe if you want throw a strap on it where you can't see it from the truck, maybe beneith the tool box.