Securing mowers on open trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by climber, May 15, 2005.

1. climber

climber LawnSite Member

Does anyone have pictures of the way they secure their mowers on their open trailer or trailers. I just use ratchet straps but there a pain...
    Any pics or advice. O and the prolockers umm... a bit pricey.
  2. Back40Lawns

Back40Lawns LawnSite Member

For small equipment (21"Toro,Billygoat,etc...) I screwed a 2x4 to my trailer floor where I park each piece of equipment. One 2x4 in front of the rear wheels and one in back of the front wheels. Unless I hit a big bump they stay right where I put them. This was free because I had the scrap lumber laying around. Larger equipment (Zturns,etc...) I kinf count on the parking brake. And weedeater racks and such. I hope this helps
  3. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

OMG I thought the same thing about the pro locker until I bought my new scag TT the dealer gave one to me for free. it is so easy much safer and employee use it. (which I found out that they dont use the straps I had on the trailer!!) it takes like only one second to lock and unlock plus it is safe. one of my best small investment. I have them on all my 3 ztrs.
  4. climber

climber LawnSite Member

I am securing one gravely 36" wb, And two snapper 21".
  5. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

for my 21" honda I welding a frame out of 2x2 angle iron to fit around the mower with no slop(its ok to have a little slop). It hasnt bounced out yet and I have been using this setup for 3 years now. ( I have hit some pretty deep/big potholes). for the walk behind I would do something similar. but be careful it is illegal in most states to have equipment on a trailer with no straps. You are suppose to secure the equipment with 4 points (two straps). around here no one uses straps on w/b's and ztr's because it is a hassle.

only try what I suggested If you have 1' sides and a rear gate, that way if the equipment bounces out of place they will only bash into each other and not flying off killing someone. if the push mower happen to bounce alot just use a bungee cord and strap over the motor so it is quick and easy to undo.
  6. climber

climber LawnSite Member

Thx guys,
    Does any one else have any suggestions or pics that they can show me.
  7. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I put recessed 'd-rings' in the floor of my trailer. I put u-bolts on the front and back of all my mowers. I use loadbinders to secure the mowers to the d-rings.(one in front and one in back) It only takes a few seconds to put the loadbinders on. This set-up has always worked for me. Hope it helps.
  8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

we've always just had 2x4's screwed to the floor of the trailer in the shape of a U around the two front tires and then just a small 6" long piece of 2x4 in the rear, it would lock the mower in place just drive over the 2x4 and your in it. Prolockers are in the future but they are pricey.