1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Securing mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by plantzpropertymanagement, Oct 28, 2006.

1. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

I was just wondering if anybody has the prolockers on there trailers? And how do you like them. And also if you dont use them how do you lock down your mowers. Im curious because i dont secure my mowers and im getting a little tired of them jumping around and constantly looking in the review mirror to see if there still there haha. I dont want to use straps though it seems like that would take a bit to long to do.
  2. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

MICHIGAN LAW ONLY******Two straps are required by LAW on all machines under 10,000 pounds (4 if over 10,000) Its a 2 point moving violation. Just think if you got t-boned by a SUV or bigger vehicle, your mowers just became flying objects that will hurt someone and you just became the subject of a very big lawsuit. buy some straps and take the 3 min to secure your load. Keep the roads safe.
  3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

THey also are not legal in ontario according to the MTO. My choice are fast straps by greentouch. They are awsome.

4. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Whatever you use in MI has to meet 1/2 the working load limit (WLL). I dont know what those things are the guy in the first post is talking about. But unless they meet the WLL they are not legal. When it comes to mowers most straps you by that are at least 2 inches wide will work. Unless you by the crap from dollar general store.

They are not on my federal chart of WLL's so unless it has the WLL stamped on it its not legal.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

There is not replacement for a product from GreenTouch called Fastraps.

A pair of them per machine is the ONLY way to secure zero turn equipment quickly, effectively and ALSO KEEP IT STILL.

I know prolockers sponsors this forum and Greentouch does not.
    But I'm sorry, they have them beat on the product.

1) Prolockers are more expensive

2) I don't believe it is a good idea to secure a mower by one caster tire

3) Securing a mower by (even both) front caster tires will NOT keep it still.
  6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

This man speaks the truth :clapping:
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you... Thank you :cool2:
  8. Beau Rivage

Beau Rivage LawnSite Member

Yikes...:eek: :eek: :eek: I hadn't thought of that one...I'm almost positive the law doesn't require anything here, but we grow more lawyers than Yale...and the roads here are simply writhing with SUVs and large pickups. Thanx, d&r...I love this site.:clapping:
  9. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

I use ratchet straps. The only time that I do not strap down my equipment is if I am moving the trailer a block or less.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

what about for enclosed trailers?