Securing small excavator on dump trailer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Botabill, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Botabill

Botabill LawnSite Member

I have a 6 X 10 dump trailer that I want to transport a 2 ton excavator on. The dump trailer has tie down rings in the corners of the box. Has anyone had experience with transporting this way and if so how would recommend securing the excavator? Thanks.

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I sometimes transport my kx 41 on my 6 x 12 dump trailer, I brace one strap over the middle of the excavator (foot area) and secure to the bottom sides of the trailer. The ex. arm is over the front and I tie it here also. I don't know for sure if its legal but this is how I do it. I only do it when my float is elsewhere.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Use the tie downs on the blade and undercarriage with chains, never ever go over the top of the tracks with straps as the machine could shift in and accident and cause even more damage to the towing vehicle.

4. zedosix

In reference to towing with a dump trailer that is not possible. On a float, yes.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

In a dump trailer you can go to the boom and to the ROPs.

If the machine is going to tip over it will take the trailer with it no matter what you do. Being the trailer is a dump soon as the load shifts and starts to roll over the box on the trailer will lift and twist. The trailer part itself may even stay on the ground.

6. KPS

KPS LawnSite Member

There is a tie down ring on the front of the chassis on a mini ex, use that with a bear trap. Sling another chain across the blade and use a bear trap on that as well to tighten it. I would also suggest using a heavy ratchet strap across the curled bucket just to be sure the house doesn't swing at all during transport. YES you can use a dump to move machinery, it has those D rings welded in the bed for a reason:hammerhead: Most dumps also have a chain welded to the frame near the hoist box or hyd pump with a slip hook right above it. When the chain is slipped in the hook it prevents the box from coming up when loading or in case something malfunctioned while hauling you won't have the box up in the air doing 100k down the highway. This same chain would prevent the box from twisting off the frame. Secure the machine in a way that would seem like overkill and the authorities won't give you big fines for an insecure load.

7. KPS

KPS LawnSite Member

Don't listen to crazy opinions like this. If you don't know what your talking about, don't say its not possible. :mad: Go with the obvious, it's got D rings.....USE THEM!!!

8. zedosix

I was referring to how I do it on my trailer, I don't have the o rings so I tie it the way I described. Yes if you have o rings use them for $#$#%@ sake!

9. KPS

KPS LawnSite Member

Not all dumps come with D rings from the factory, thats true. We got ours welded in, it makes life much easier.

10. Botabill

Botabill LawnSite Member

I misunderstood zedosix's 2nd post but get it now. He's not saying you can't haul a mini on a dump. In the first post he explains how he does it when he has too. Mine is a KX41 too. I appreciate all the comments so far please keep them coming. Thanks! Bill