Securing Z spray

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by robertsturf, Feb 23, 2014.

1. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got my 2012 Gmc 1 ton back from my welder after building a removable dovetail. The ramp is operated by a remote control winch. This truck is a multi use truck mowing, treatments, mulch, leaves and snow. It also has a dump hoist for mulch and leaves. My issue is how do I secure mowers, Z spray without anything being permanent? Have looked at Pro locker etc... not wide enough. Thanks for input

2014-02-21 17.42.24.jpg

2014-02-21 17.42.36.jpg

2. robertsturf

Additional pics

2014-02-21 17.40.58.jpg

2014-02-21 17.41.09.jpg

3. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice truck...I was looking at doing that with a one ton...install some D rings in various postions and use wratchet straps

4. robertsturf

I've already got several on the bed I just have to leave room for the spray tank. I was thinking about the retractable kind that you bolt down.

5. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

Nice truck! Wish they would put some tie downs on the Zs.

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Agreed. Nice truck!

I believe that is what the holes in the side frame pieces between the tank and hopper are for besides making the unit a bit lighter. However, I wouldn't count on only this for security.

To the OP. Some may think this is "redneck" or "hillbilly" but I want my trailers available for different duties at a moments notice(pro-locker type equipment does not allow this). We took a 4x4 treated post and made a 45 degree cut down the length of it. We then took the 2 halves and mounted them to a partial sheet of marine grade plywood just in front of and behind the rear wheels of our Z's using F-26 and a handful of short wood screws. We are able to easily remove the plywood with the mounted "chocks" whenever we need the trailer for something else. It keeps the Z in place very well and was a helluva lot cheaper than a pro-locker.

7. robertsturf

Exactly what my thinking is. I could be doing apps 3 days, mowing 1 or 2 days then throw in some clean-ups/ mulching. That's why I want the set up to be flexible! Thanks for the ideas!

8. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Sell your lawn mowers and your mulch pitchfork. If you have enough lawn care to support three days a week you're ready to go apps only in my opinion..

Bitchin truck.

9. robertsturf

Thanks, but I can't get completely out of the maintenance side. Commercial properties require 1 main contractor, 60 yds mulch, 9 acres of turf, etc.....

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

My suggestion. Drill a small hole in the bed say 3/8 inch. Attach a 1/4 inch steel cable twice around the truck frame and secure with two cable clamps. Bring the cable up through the hole. Make a loop and apply a padlock--or attach a heavy forged steel hook. Attach to something strong on your Z-Spray.

You might need a short loop of chain on your Z frame to provide a convenient spot to hook up.

Remove hook or loop, pull cable down and wrap around frame when using the trailer for leaves. If it would interfere.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014