Security cable solution for one man ops?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Damian, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

From reading the forums, I appear to have been extremely lucky over the past couple of years since I have had nothing stolen out of the back of my truck. I'd like to make changes this year and was thinking of using cables to at least make it so no one could just grab and run with something.

I use 21" mowers, backpack blower and weedeater from the back of my non-enclosed truck. I figure I can at least loop the cables through the handles.

Cable suggestions?

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I buy the 20 foot cables from Lowe's they are less than $20 bucks lock em down with a lock, simple.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

mean ass pit bull in the back will work :laugh:

4. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

Would the weakest link - other than the equipment parts - be the cable or the lock? What is the best recommendation for a lock, Master or other?

5. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

The lock is usually the weakest. If someone puts cutters or a hacksaw to the cable it will just sort of fray and tangle up and they won't get through it.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Cheap cables usually don't put up much of a fight against a prepared thief just like a cheap Master lock doesn't. If you would like your equipment to remain yours buy top notch security.

www.abus.com

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

All locks do is keep honest people honest......I have a tool that will cut through any lock, chain or cable....I use it at least monthly to remove abandoned or destroyed bicycles from campus.

With a nice abrasive disc, it just eats away the metal...If all else fails, then I just grab the Ox/Acyt torch....

get your self come rubber coated cable, 1/2" or larger", bright color if you can find it , swag in some "eyes" on each end for a desent lock and just run the cable through the handles of your tools and gas cans and get cutting grass.

if you make it difficult or a PITA to lock /unlock your tools all the time, then YOU won't use it. Keep It simple but you still want something that will deter the "snatch/grab" guy. Thick bright colored cables will help.

Also make sure that the cable runs through something that Is dead-manned to the trucks. this will prevent them from taking all of your tools without at least cutting the cable on site. Again costing them time.

DC410KA_1.jpg

8. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I buy #5 master locks and key them all the same with one key.

9. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

I have a "kryptonite" cable and the metal strands inside are pretty fine. I think it would give Mr DeWalt a little challenge due to the flexibility of the cable and how fine the strands are. But hey, I use a regular lock, so you might as well cut through that instead.

krypto.JPG

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I see those cables all the time....Correct I woudl go after the lock first that way I have a nice cable for my guys, but the multi strand cable is no real challange to an abrasive disc....

All you are tyring to prevent more than anything is the quick grab.

Remember as well that the handles on most of your gas powered tools are plastic....The weakest link....a saws-all or even a folding pruning saw would take care of that

I rememebr reading a story about the "the Club" for steering wheels in cars....the easiest way around that was to take bolt cutters to the steering wheel itself and then remove the locked club....