Security cages

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Mar 8, 2009.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone have good links for security cages to prevent theft of BFVs? What I'm really looking for is one for a PVB or RP that is tight to the wall, so the cage can mount to the wall. Open on the backside, hinged door in front. Ewing had literature for one, but I don't remember the brand name, and I wasn't impressed with it.

2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

My weapon of choice for security

Similar-rocket-launcher-pic.jpg

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

So is theft high enough of those items in your area to worry about it that much?

" Guys come on lets go steal a back flow assembly so we can sell it! ... Give me a beer first! "

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it was. The price for scrap copper and brass was at an all time high. I had 4 customers get them stolen last year. Bigger commercial sizes were very prone to it, and brought in more scrap. Most city or county stuff now have cages around them. But the bottom has dropped out on the market, and they are not as valuable. But tweakers will still take them if it will score enough cash for a fix.

6. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

vitproducts.com

They sell the strongbox that was at the show in January.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I like their wall mount enclosures, but for $1000 minimum, I doubt I'll go that route. The cage that I linked to is about $150

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats on 6K, Dana! :clapping:

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

BooYah!!!! I knew you'd be the first to congratulate.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I'll go this route, it seems fairly inexpensive compared to others. And the PVBs will be replaced right along the wall. this will work for the PVBs, but I don't think for the RPs unless I go with and angle RP, which is about double in price. The lots are completely flat, so I may install just high enough for code, so there isn't much exposed copper below the cage.

cagepvb.jpg