Security cams to watch over equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metro-hp_48, May 16, 2004.

1. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Was wondering how many here may use cameras as part of their security system. Wished I had one the diff. times I have had things stolen, just so I would know who it was (ex-friend turned crackhead, no doubt) and I know a man that could really use one.

He was asking me about them (all I could tell him was they were getting cheaper, nowdays)

Is the quality there in the cheaper multi units? Looking at all types (bullet, nanny, pin hole, ect.)

Would like one here, if nothing else but to be able to keep an eye on mine, without having to actually get up and look. (getting lazy in my old age)

2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The guy i get my mulch from has them all over the place. He knows who is doing what in the yard.

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to radio shack. We sell them for like $149 with each additional camera like $49 bucks.

Trevor

4. metro-hp_48

from TN

Man.........ya'll are not going to believe this.

The friend I mentioned just called this morning, and said his new Robin trimmer (about 3 weeks old) was missing when he went to his mom's house to pick it up. (keeps all his equipment there, since his trailer/mowers/trimmers/ect. were stolen from his (less secure) house.

now ......3 hours later............

He just called back, and said he went to his uncle's house, and his crackhead brother just pulled up and wanted to get the trimmer he pawned last night (the uncle is a 80 yr old fence)

The worst part to me is that, my friend knew where he left the trimmer, and his whole family was deffending the crackhead brother (saying he hadn't brought the trimmer back to store there).

The crackhead has stolen NUMEROUS times from ALL the family members (mama, daddy, brothers, grand father, and uncles....bet he got my T-260 years ago)............yet they deffend him, and run the good son off. Unreal.

I am letting him keep his new Lazer CT 19/52 here for now.
    Spending the money he just gave me for the 44 mag. on some security cams for this house.....ASAP

Searching the internet (3 days now) for any info I can, just to learn about cams in general, to get the most for my money.

5. metro-hp_48

from TN

Will deff. look at Radio Shack (as well as every other place I can)
    Might go wireless, will prob. deff. go color (incase that super-hot blonde babe just happens to be spashing in/around the pool while I'm gone during the day..he he he [out in the general public view.....no peeky-peek]

Like to utilize technology to the fullest........Ah, Trevor? LOL

6. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Listen not sure if yall have one but Harbor Freight here in Texas sells bad asssssssssss cameras for $20.00 a piece no shiot I promise I have 3 of them and they work great I have one on my front door one on my garage and one in my backyard and they even have NIGHT vison $20.00 a piece------------would even be worth yall calling them and ordering them

7. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Had a great setup at the old place. Now that Ive moved I only have 1 camera set up. Its an internal Black and White Camera with a 24Hr VCR set up to it. You can set up Motion lights and record all nite or record when the light is activated, door activated, etc...

I hear color is not very good at night, but there is always new technology coming out so maybe now they work good. My old B/W ones could see real well in the dark. They were set up on all 4 corners of the house (External) and I had a 13" monitor that was always on with a multiplexer to jump from 1 camera to the next every couple seconds. This was a hardwired install, no wireless.

People would come over just to watch the cameras.

HomeSentinal and SpyTech were where I acquired my goods.

Prices have come down but I paid $1000 for the 24Hr vcr about 4 years ago. About $500 in cameras. Monitor with multiplexer was about $200. Canadian Funds.

Caught the cat that would go through the garbage on the street, Seen who came by the house when I was out, who walked on the Lawn (mailman always).

Never had anyone try and steal anything. So far that is.

Hiding the cameras is 1 thing but making them visible is a great deterrent.

8. metro-hp_48

from TN

Kool Firstclass. Have a Harbor freight close by, and they send a sale paper about once a week. Never too sure about the quality, but never bought anything bad from there.

Thanks for the reply HayBay. Almost thought about a fake camera for the outside and still having hidden cams through out. (like fun new gadgets......pretty secure now, as far as that goes)
    Most I see are like .05 Lux for B/W, and 1 Lux for color, plus they have alot with infrared,...... what they call "night vision".

Deff. want as good of quality as I can get for the $.

How does the Ebay thing work? I mean like I see new Proslides for ALOT cheaper than retail, and the same with cams. What might cost 300-400 retail, is new on Ebay for less than 80.00. Doesn't make sence to me.............hmmmmm

At one place now learning some basics (CDD vrs. CMOS, Lux, ect.)
    http://www.vfmstore.com/faq.htm#video

Thanks everyone! For real!

9. metro-hp_48

from TN

Actualy, except for the cheap fake outdoor cam, I'm not even going let anyone know I have vid. survalence. You never know
    who will turn into a rat. (see more and more friends turning into crackheads everyday............I'm said to say.......)

10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I got two cameras from target and andother from target. The all work great. One of them from target even has night vision. Check at costco or sams. They always seem to have a camera system with 2 cameras and a monitor for around $200 same with home depot.