Security for your equipment!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Dec 18, 2003.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I didnt know where this topic belonged and I've been pondering and wanting to know some of your answers.

As move topics i've been going through, seems most of you guys leave all your tools in your truck?

How do you guys store/lock all your equipment?

a) Do you just unload all your equipment to your garage, your house storage area?
    --- I dont think most of you guys do because it's so time consuming right?

What other features or ways do you guys protect your tools/equipment?

:gunsfirin :dizzy:
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

try . They make lots of different types of commercial locks for equipment / trailers. Best bet is a security system w / motion/proximity sensors as well.:D
  3. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

I always unload everything into the shop. Its got motion sensors/door and window sensors for the alarm, and barbed wire running up and down along the windows on the inside ....yes we live in a bad neighborhood for theft. By the way good to see a fellow British Columbian here:drinkup:
  4. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member

Trailor, truck inside,locked. Works so far.
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

For the most part, truck and trailer parked outside with mower and trimmers left on. I pull the keys from the mowers and trimmer traps are locked. Blowers are brought into the garage. German sheppard is in the backyard with the truck, trailer and equipment.
  6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i would take your stuff inside at night when possible. and if they are not inside, than keep locked without a question. pulling keys and locking racks like w/t said is an excellent idea as well.

also-gear thats left out night on end w/o cover is prone to develope problems. esp problems with electical components.
  7. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

I have a enclosed trailer that i leave everything in over night. I don't have to unload anything. I park it on a concrete pad in the back yard that when i had it poured i welded a 2" eye-bolt to the re-bar so it would stick up out of the concrete, and i would be able to chain my trailer to it. Works good, and i don't worry about it when were a vacation or away from the house for extended periods of time.;)

8. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

All three trailers in a locked garage! nothing ever left outside.
  9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I currently rent a storage unit that I back my trailer into.

However, I really need a bigger trailer, but then it wouldn't fit into the storage unit.

One option is to unload everything into storage unit and pay more money for a parking space to park the larger trailer. I don't want to pay more for a parking space, and I don't want to take the time to load and unload everytime. That would suck!.

Another option is go with an enclosed trailer, and just rent a parking space at a locked/secured storage facilty (I can't keep a trailer at my home). Although there are a lot of benefits to an enclosed trailer that I would really like, the downside is that I use my trailer to haul stuff on quite a bit (mulch, branches, hedge trimmings, etc.). It's often more then I can fit into my truck bed.

This has been a real frustration for me to come up with the best solution. I'm open to suggestions (keeping in mind that I can't keep a trailer or large commercial truck at my home).

Ideally, I'd love to find a LARGE shop w/larger door to back a larger open landscape trailer into, but prices are crazy for a shop that size in this area! No way I could afford it.
  10. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i can get a 40'x25' garage with 2 9' doors for $3,500