sedge hammer in a garden???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BIG NICKY, Aug 24, 2014.

1. BIG NICKY

BIG NICKY LawnSite Member

Hi guys i have an infestation of yellow nut sedge in the corner of my garden i just want to make sure it is ok to spray near vegetable plants and be able to plant next season as well. i also want to make sure it is good for cool season turf.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Products that contain sulfentrazone like Dismiss or Surge should work fine--if--you protect your vegetables with a spary shield made of cardboard.
    Likewise Sedgehammer.
    I am not sure if either have any soil residual. Follow label instructions. Don't get any spray on the fruit.

3. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd have to check to be sure but I don't think any of these products are labeled for use in vegetable gardens.

4. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Sulfentrazone does remain active in soil for some time,
    why not just use a non selective like glyphosate
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. BIG NICKY

riggle that was my concern...is there a way to contact the companies that make them?? i want to make sure that the soil wont be contaminated after use.

6. indplstim

indplstim LawnSite Member

If your eating food out of this garden why would you spray anything near or in it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. BIG NICKY

because the nutsedge keeps spreading. and i have a few other patches throughout the yard and would like to spray it all at once. but right now its in the back corner away from plants but next season there will be vegetables there again.

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Don't eat beans, corn, cucumbers, melons, peppers, rice, or tomatoes sold in markets if halosulfuron unsafe for consumption. It is sold as Sandea herbicide for application around fruit trees, vegetables, sugarcane, and most grain crops. http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld9I9004.pdf

Sulfentrazone is a bean, cabbage, pea, soybean, tomato, and sugarcane herbicide. http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld3LT005.pdf

Label rates for those applications are the same as what is used on turf and ornamentals. I am wise to the fact that most of what is used in the T&O market is primarily used in production AG. A lot of hoops were jumped through to get products originally approved for AG into use in lawns. The EPA required absolute proof that T&O uses would not endanger human health. A lawn is not like a field where human contact can be prohibited for up to 21 days for some of the most toxic materials. A majority of the insecticides in AG were either never approved or else pulled out of the T&O market.

9. AnotherOkie

AnotherOkie LawnSite Senior Member
    from Newalla

Also don't eat small grains, such as wheat. SU herbicides are used on them also. Certainty has an ag label under the name maverick. I think they have dropped maverick and added it to the out rider label. Like greendoctor said. Most t/o labels were previously used under ag labels for years
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Nick,
    Sedgehammer and such products containing sulfentrazone should not be applied near or within close proximity of any garden plot.
    These herbicides work on shoot and root systems. This means that it must reach the roots through systemic action. There is soil activity.
    Posted via Mobile Device