Sedge lawn?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by cotyledon, May 19, 2014.

1. cotyledon

cotyledon LawnSite Senior Member

Does anybody have experience planting a lawn area of sedge? Our new house came with a back lawn like I have never seen all sedge, looks cool, different, needs no water & grows only 8 inches high un mowed but takes a cut well. The local cornell office said it was carex Pennsylvania. This lawn looks great but the property is old , and I have no idea how long it took to establish or if it just happened on its own. Thinking it may be a good lawn substitute? Wondering if any one has done this with success?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Photo?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on the photo

4. cotyledon

5. cotyledon

sorry im not good at posting pictures. look at the first pic how full and green it is by the woods where I didn't mow

6. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen sedge mixed in with clover and fescue on an old cottage farm before, and it was left uncut all year. They strategically put some purple cone flower/Veronica/black eyed Susie around areas like the bird house, and had a small row of sun flower on the back by the woods. It was a beautiful yard.

7. Twinlakes

Twinlakes LawnSite Member

Normally, I'm paid to PULL; not plant that stuff:hammerhead:

8. cotyledon

Yes that's what I'm talking about. That sounds cool. I'll probably try transplanting some as plugs and see how quick it spreads to se if it can be recreated for customers. Ive Ben around plants my whole life , and that stuff impresses me it gets full sun all day and no water , grows on acidic super sandy soil . It's tough stuff . And it smells like citrus when you mow it, the horse next door goes crazy trying to get at the clippings
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mint too. I cut an old garden that had been removed, but the mint never left. I LOVED the smell after I cut it

10. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, What about sedge being dormant (look's dead) 4 month's out of the year.