1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sedge --- spot treat vs blanket app

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Jun 28, 2011.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

This year i have started mixing in a sedge herbicide along with my broadleaf apps and blanket applying everything. I tried to spot treat but found I missed a lot of your sedges that weren't showing themselves. I've been using Prosedge (alternative to sedgehammer).

What are your thoughts on spot treat vs blanket app? Anyone found something better theat prosedge/sedgehammer? Anything more cost effective for blanket apps?
  2. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

How expensive is Prosedge? Sedgehammer is quite costly to banket spray. I only spot spray.
  3. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Unless you are getting this stuff at dealer cost........then you are charging off the chart.
    I am using Certainty..........spot spray the hot spots only!
    At the costs per acre..........and not getting them all the first time is only wasting the product. If the customer is willing to shell out the cost for repeat apps....then so be it. Remember you are only supposed to use a maximum rate per acre per year also. If you are using less than label rates, then you aren't getting them either. I am bound to a yearly rate of 2.66 oz. per acre and that is it. So you better get em' all the second round or switch to something else.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  4. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

there is a new product combining dismiss with manor...may be worth a look
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO Sedge is hard enough to control with repeated Blanket Treatments. Why waste your time and product doing Spot treatments, You are only spreading the sedge.

Go back to basics and first ID the Pest. Next study the growth habit of the pest. Next plan a course of action That will control that pest. Don't over look cultural practices etc in conjunction with Chemical Controls.

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Why throw in the stupid comments?
    Everyone is looking for a way to eliminate the nutsedge and be cost effective at the same time. Right now it just inst happening

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Yellow nutsedge-Spreads like the plague , with only one treatment,
    We need to come up with a solution.

larger picture inside black line from far away looks ok but closer picture shows 70-80% nutsedge

nutsedge mark.jpg

yellow nutsedge 2.jpg
  8. phillie

phillie LawnSite Senior Member

I charge for blanket apps of nutsedge if its that bad. Right now I am spot treating with Q4 which is labelled for broadleaf, yellow nutsedge, and crabgrass. Right now I have under 100 customers so I dont want a whole bunch of inventory. It is kind of expensive but cheaper for me for now anyway, when you start adding up buying sedgehammer for this quinclorac for that, and then a 3 way for everything else.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I am sorry if my opinion appears stupid to you. But the fact is I don't have a Sedge problem in any of my yards because I do Blanket Treat for sedge. The original question was "sedge --- spot treat vs blanket app". I simply said IMHO Blanket was a better way to control sedge.

As for the second paragraph about Basics. When I taught College, My slower students kept looking for the Miracle Chemical instead of trying understanding the life cycle of the pest they were dealing with. For that reason they weren't able to pass my course. If they are still in the business they are doing terrible work because they are missing the basics. You must be looking the Miracle Chemical instead of trying to understand the basics. Therefore My commend about Basics went way over your head and that is why you think it is stupid.

BTW Have A Nice Day.
  10. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

I can see this thread caused some heated debate. Let me start all over and recount my comments. Most of my lawns......(Bermuda) have hot spots of sedge. If the lawn is covered with sedge, then obviously you will need to blanket spray and charge accordingly. You will need to repeat another trip as it is needed on certain growth stages of the sedge.
    Are you sure it is yellow or purple nutsedge? Does this area smell sweet after you mow it?
    To me, this weed looks like Green Kyllinga.
    If a customer calls early in the season..........a lawn that I know nothing about, they are automatically figured for blanket spraying of nutsedge. A lawn that I know for years gets a hot spot treatment.

As stated in other threads.........you guys are getting 15.00 per K. Then you can afford to blanket spray your sedge...........but our lawns around here don't pull that kind of bux, so they get spot sprays. If you treat hot spots, you are not generally going to get them all.....that is common sense, but a customer will get what they are paying for. At the time of signing a agreement, the cost of using certain products is mentioned. They often will take plan B to save money. Even though it will take 2-3 years to get rid of the sedges, they are getting what they pay for.