Sedgehammer question.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Grits, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Would it be effective to spot treat a yard with Sledgehammer (Manage)? Would it get rid of the Nutsedge or would you need to spray the entire lawn? This is for my personal yard. Thanks!

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It could get expensive if you were blanketing with Manage/Sedgehammer. It's not like Nutsedge is hard to see (although I'm not from FLA. Dealing with Blue/Rye/Fescue lawns up here), so spot treat, then hit any remaining after a week or two. The dead nutsedge won't come back after mowing.

3. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I usually spotspray, works for me.

4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Most of the lawns I see have heavy infestations. Even with SedgeHammer, there will likely be some "nuts" that haven't emerged. If it's early, and the whole lawn isn't affected, sure, spot spray. Best time for treatment is June in my area. You will probably have to spray several times though, as it emerges. Wait till 3 days after it's mowed, and don't mow for another three days. Try to time the app between rain and irrigation too.

Those little 32 oz atomizers are perfect for this. One word of caution... make sure you have the AI and mix right, and use a surficant. Too much AI of SedgeHammer will yellow turf some, and if put down in too high a concentration can kill it.

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Of course it goes without saying that you pre-emerge is important and should be inforce early enough for all of those late seeds that got windblown around.
    Read Ric's post earlier this month about the 4 hour window for Sedgehammer or a bit longer when adding some baking soda to water. Roy

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, make sure to use surfactant or it wont work, and use it with in 4 hrs. spot spray everything you see and then go back and check for any a week or two later . it will not grow back whatever you spray. but new can emerge after like above mentioned. it works great, if you need to blanket, then use q4 or surge from pbi gordon, will kill most of it and you can always go back over it again in a couple of weeks for less money than sedgehammer. it wont kill as much though and some will come back.

7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

We only spot spray for nutsedge, it is too expensive to run a blanket spray. We dont use surfactant and have had great results but maybe we are just lucky?

Momentum FX 2 just got nutsedge put on the label, which is hopefully going to be a good option.

8. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I've never used a surfactant either, & usually get most of it in one hit, occasionally have to hit a few stragglers.:)

9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I have only used it twice, and went with the label's surficant directions. They make a big point of using one...so I did! Surficants are dirt cheap.... and I have some on hand anyways. Sounds like it may not be needed.... but i'll likely continue to use one.

10. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Great info! Thanks guys.
    About the surfacant...can you use something like Dawn soap?