See Sheshovel's Shrubblers

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by sheshovel, May 10, 2007.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what Dirty Water has against shrubblers. They water perfectly fine in my residential drip irrigation installations. See? I never use those little dripdripdrip themselves a hole in the soil/pieces of crap emits anymore. They never cover properly when the plants mature and I like having the option of adjusting the flow with shrubblers.
    These are adjusted at a lower flow, if you open them up to max, that flow you see coming out increases outward at least another to 12" if needed.
    I took these special just for Dirty. Oh, and that last on is on a hill, hence the way it is flowing.

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

2. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful she. Purp is in a photo critiquing mood tonight. I like shrubblers. I use the true sprays more than the streams but my set up is similar.

3. sheshovel

Shhhhhh don't tell him!! Don't admit you like shrubblers either or you'll be in for it! Plus if he has not noticed it yet he may never notice it at all...old you know. HA!

4. sheshovel

See pigtails he hasn't even looked yet. Prolly got me on ignore cuz I was sticking up for the young pup.

5. Mad Estonian

Mad Estonian LawnSite Senior Member

I never use those little dripdripdrip themselves a hole in the soil/pieces of crap emits anymore. They never cover properly when the plants mature and I like having the option of adjusting the flow with shrubblers.

Hmmm... well, to each their own, so long as the plants are happy and water isn't being wasted I guess. Depends an awful lot on your soil really, I guess you could call it a "hole" if you've got a really low application rate on sand, but the wetted soil profiles for loam or clay really balloon out, especially if you're taking the soil into account when you're selecting your application rate (i.e. higher application rate in sand will balloon out more). I'm sure I'm probably not telling anyone anything they don't already know, but I do like the "dripdripdrip" emitters: they offer a wide range of finely tuned possibilities; if the system's designed properly, you can easily tell how much water you're applying, base on the individual plant's needs; less runoff/potential for water being applied outside of the root zone; and I just think it's easier to maximize efficiency with them than with shrubblers.

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

might as well use soaker hose ...she

7. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with everything you said here and I'll explain how shrubblers work for me. At my house I have the drip you describe. Works great. With customers drip is a real struggle. Dallas has been a throw the water over the top city for a long time. In trying to convert spray beds to drip people here just don't trust what they can't see. I explain everything to them and add the pitch that drip is a little like faith. One needs to believe without seeing. It doesn't help that the landscapers here way over plant beds. Plus they can't seem to grasp the concept of watering plants not space. A typical conversation will go like this: them"my ground has cracks here" me"you don't have a plant there" them"well! I might someday" To me shrubblers are a step on the way to drip.

8. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

shrubblers=a gift toy from mcDonalds!

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

No boots or camera case in the pictures. Good work She-Shrubbler! :laugh:

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Naw... Just past my bedtime when you posted them. I'm getting up at 3:45 am now that we've changed our hours at work. :)