Seed and straw washing away before germination

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JRSlawn, Jun 28, 2004.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I put a new lawn in for a lady. In the process I cut the back yard out to allow for correct drainage. I finished and planted the grass. Last week we had allot of rain and all the seed and straw all washed away. What can I put on it to allow grass to grow and not get washed away.

Jeff Smith
    JRS Lawn & Landscape
  2. landproscapes

landproscapes LawnSite Member

excelsior fabric. It is a netting with wood fiber mulch built in. Comes in rolls that fasten down with sod staples . Eventually degrades when turf is established.
  3. Loganwildman

Loganwildman LawnSite Member

What is the approximate cost for the fabric? Is it more cost effective to use this instead of straw?

I had this happen to me once last year and once this year. In both cases, I charged the customer to come back and reseed. Mainly because I didn't feel it was my fault to have to come back because of mother nature.
  4. landproscapes

landproscapes LawnSite Member

Curlex blanket comes in 4' x 180' Rolls for somewhere between $50.00-$60.00 plus the cost of pins. only use it on the sloped and heavy drainage areas, use straw everywhere else. so you are looking at $60compared to $12 for straw and more install time. If its a cheap builder job probably not, custom job for homeowner definately
  5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

What you are describing sounds like the Futerra blanket that we use. Works much better than straw blankets. Only problem is that it shows ANY bumps that might be in the seed bed once it's been watered. It's not a major problem, just mess's with your mind until the grass is growing.:)