1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Seed bed/new lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Rollacosta, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

Hi guys just wondering how you guys prepare a new lawn /seed bed from start to finish.Seems everyone has a different way.

Could you run through the process from start to finish,saying what kit you use etc .

Many thanks Rolla
  2. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

This all depends on what is on the site, but lets say this is a new build. I would first get it all leveled arround the house with the box scraper, then continue with the entire lawn, filling in the low spots and what not. Then depending on how many clods of dirt were there, I would make a few passes with the pulverizer, and then finish grade with the Harley.
  3. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

Pulveriser is that the same as a rotavater?? thanks for the run down Dstosh,anyone else do it differently??
  4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

granted most of my customers are cheap and dont want to pay for everything that is required, but for those that are willing.

I start with a soil test. I add required amendments and roto till into the soil. I then remove any big stuff i can visibly see and then harley rake the area smooth and level provideing drainage and slope as required. I then will broadcast a half rate of seed. After seeding I will run over the area with an areovator, The areovator at this point is mostly for provideing little dimples in the soil and it also ensures real good seed to soil contact. After Areovating, I will either apply the remaining seed and cover the area with straw, or I will add remaining seed to my hydroseeder and hydromulch the area. I prefer the hydromulching to the blowing straw, plus, hydroseeding allows me to provide water and a tackifier to the area to help prevent erosion.

For the el-cheapo customers, I harley rake the area and then apply fertilizer and lime based on experience with the soil in my area and adverage soil test results from samples I have taken and had tested all around my area. This doesnt give me the exact amendments to use but its better than buying fertilizer off the shelf. I apply all amendments at 30% of normal rates since I am only applying the fertilizer to the top of the soil, and then I areovate the area to help break up the compaction, and hydroseed using the full seed rate.
  5. Stafford Landscaping

Stafford Landscaping LawnSite Member

MuddStopper you said that you use a areovator to put dimples for the grass seed. I use a double roller cultipacker to roll the soil after I put seed, fert, lime down then blow straw. Sounds like you got a good grasp on lawn seeding I just wonderd what you thought about the way I do it.