1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Seed Bed Prep

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by drsogr, Jun 11, 2005.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I do mostly new yard and sod installs. I have been looking for a method to do seed bed prep.

I have tried a New hollland tractor with a Tiller, and then going back over with a pulverizer. This method worked ok, but I really didn't care for the size of dirt clods it left, and I had to keep going over the same areas time and time again. And it really never got the land very level.

I tried a New holland with just a pulverizer. This did a pretty good job, but doesn't work well with a yard with a lot of weeds.

I tried a dingo with a harley rake. I loved how the harley rake broke up the soil and ripped out the weeds, but I could never get the ground very level. I think that a harley rake on a tractor might work a little better, and be easier to keep level?

What methods do you guys use? I haven't found anything that I have been real happy with. Would a harley rake on a tractor be a better choice? Are they easier to control? Or would something on a bobcat be a better choice?

A friend told me that I should use a land plane followed by a pulverizer. The land plane to break up the weeds, and the pulverizer to break up the ground.

2. DMR&Co

DMR&Co LawnSite Member
    from CT

Take a look at the TR3 rake by Absolute Innovations. I have a 5' unit on a Kioti 3054 30hp and it works great for my use. I install new lawns plus renovate existing lawns. For a non powered raking and grading tool I personally don't think it can be beat.

3. drsogr

It seems interesting but seems pretty expensive for a piece of equipment that has no moving parts. I would thing that a rockhound on a bobcat would do about the same as that. I really liked the harley rake I rented...does anyone know if they are easier to use on a tractor? The one I rented was on a dingo, and it was a ***** to get the ground level with it.
  4. drsogr

Would something like a leveling bar help out after the power rake?
  5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

A Harley rake on a skid steer works well for me.
  6. drsogr

Did you have problems getting the ground level? Is it just a matter of settings or skill? Or did I just have so many problems because its a dingo and it doesn't move as fast?
  7. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

The TR-3 Rake costs 1/2 the amount of a PTO powered harley rake and it never breaks. You will find that it might take another pass or two to get the ground worked up as well as the harley rake, but you will also find your harley rake breaking after a year or two of hard use.

8. drsogr

I wish I could see one in action. I have yet to see one around here. I think I need to call the manufacture and see if there is one around here that I could demo.
  9. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

they have a video for it. Just call absolute innovations and ask them to send you the video.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I Have A 5' Tr3 And Think It's Ok For Property Free Of Almost All Vegitation, Rocks, And Open To Turn Around. If Property Has Any Amount Of Vegitation, Or Rocks, I Haven't Had Any Luck With It? Also, If There Is No Room To Turn Around Without Stopping, You Leave A Huge Pile Of Dirt, And #$%$ That You Have To Go Back And Clean Up. Scarifiers Are To Far Apart To Rip Out Vegitation Consistently, And Are Too Far Inboard To Get Up To Sidewalks, Or Along Property Lines. I Think For $3,400 The Thing Isn't All That Great..........