Seed Blend - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Aug 4, 2012.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

My local Reinders dealer has this blend available. Called Sports Turf Mix.
    Has 90% TTTF and a little KBG in it. I have done some overseeding with the improved TTTF varieties in the past couple years and have REALLY liked the results I have gotten - nice blending and nice thickening of lawn. What do you guys think of this blend?

45% Cayenne Tall Fescue
    45% Shortstop II Fescue
    10% Bronco Kentucky Bluegrass

Note that I would probably add in some Per Rye as well as a custom blend.

Thx,
    DA

2. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like the perfect mix for the transition zone. Too bad you are not in the transition zone. Last I checked, Minnesota was closer to the Arctic zone. (OK, Rochester MN is in the southern part of the state, but still.) Why would you not be using all KBG, or KBG ryegrass? They don't bunch like TTTF, and the KBG repairs itself.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Those varieties are hardy here - that is why Reinder's markets them here.
    I have heard more than a few guys on here say that slice overseeding with a majority KBG will not achieve very good results as germination takes so long and the seedlings are more apt to get choked right out by the existing stand of turfgrass. I need something that will emerge and be vigorous. I do agree with your rye assessment and I always mix in 20% rye or so.

4. JoJo1990

JoJo1990 LawnSite Member

I still think a 70% KBG and 30% PR blend is the best with improved varieties. Yes, KBG takes a long time to germinate but there are some really hardy blend options. I do not like TTTF and if the lawn does not have it already, I think it looks out of place when mixed with the the other 'true' cool season varieties.