Seed Choice?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Oct 2, 2003.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Anyone have any opinions on this site and /or this seed?
    I live in New England and would like to use this as my "main seed" for 90% of my overseeding.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

which site or seed?

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

seems like they are giving the spiel. Check out what the sod farms use around you and then do some research on that particular seed. Or go to a grange and check out there different mixes (or they can mix one for you. ) I have not had a problem on any of the grange mixes.
    Good quality seed is optimum for seeding but for over seeding you can use a decent seed that matches what you are servicing. Germination for both on a overseed is about the same and mainly depends on soil/seed contact rather than quality of seed.
    good luck.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That Plantation seed in the blend is a newer Pennington seed. Oddly, that stuff had pretty good scores in the NTEP trials. I say oddly because I have never been too fond of Pennington's products. But I'm not saying the Plantation is no good. I've never tried the stuff. Here I have only found it available as a single variety and it's the most expensive seed I have found.

The best advice I can give you is to take a look at the latest data from the NTEP trials in your area/close by/similar climate area. My seeding results have benefited since I took time to study and it shows in my lawns.

Go to http://www.ntep.org/
    Then print out the reports that interest you and study them. Not only can you use them to influence what seed you might use for your area, but also what seed chices you might make for various locations and conditions.

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I don't use any mix with Tall Fescue in it because Fescue grows more horizontal than vertical and the grass blades are wider and makes it stand out more visually. I use Perennal Rye, Blue Grass, Red Fescue, Chewing Fescue mix. Valley Green sells it as an Athletic Mix. I have had good results with this blend.

Gene