seed first

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Craig Turf Management, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I was talking to a LCO the other day, and he told me that he broadcasts his grass seed and fert, then core aerates the lawn. His point was that by applyinf first, he would bury most of the seed while aerating. It sort of makes since, just wondering if anyone else uses this method? Sometimes I will lime before aerating, to get the product down into the soil where it will do some good.
    Thanks, Bill

2. Sounds like a great solution to birds eating the seed before germination. However, we do only stolons/plugs in Hawaii. Bermuda seed too costly and using vegetative matter is usually much better guarantee.

But I like the coring routine, maybe it could be incorporated with good results with stolons as the roots are injected sort of into the soil thus increasing the roots/rhizome contact. Potentially less attrition.

Good idea.

Mahalo,

P.Y.S.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I use a twisted tine aereator and this works well
    with that type aereating.Hides seed better and
    get some soil covering the seed.Sometimes have to explain to the customer where the seed is.

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I core aearte the areas first then diperse the lime, fert and finally seed. This way by putting the seed down last I havent gotten most of it stuck to my boots.

Just my .02
    Kris

5. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

That sounds like a good idea, never thought of it. I'm going to have to try it. Yet another valuable piece of info from lawnsite.