1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Seed friendly herbicide?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone know of a seed-friendly post emergent, selective herbicide? I've got a new customer, who has weeds in her lawn, where I'd like to seed. Because of the time of year, I'm going to use a good variety of Perennial Rye. I'd rather not have to use a non-selective herbicide, like I normally would, but if I have to, I will. I just hate the idea of killing the grass that's amongst those weeds. Thanks for any help guys. :waving:
  2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

But this time of year, are the weeds really that competitive to worry about them?
  3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

this late in the season i'd most likly go with round up spot spray, or not worry to much about the weeds if their not to bad and just plant the seed. i think speedzone has a short reseed interval, check the lable. you can also use a fert with a premergence called??? bensulide? it will not harm the grass seed, but prevent the other weeds like pendulum and apply it in the spring if you run out of time. check the label, been a while since i used it.
  4. Victor

In areas, the weeds are that bad. We're talking about thistles, curly dock and other weeds that are covering a good portion of the ground I want to seed. They're really thick in a few spots.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

with ryegrass it should work out just fine.

Both Carfentrazone (Quicksilver) and Octane (pyraflufen) which you can get at Lesco are safe for new seed.

The label on both says, "Cool season grasses, both newly seeded and established are generally tolerant..."

The two products are very fast acting. They work best on young weeds. Great on purslane, knotweed, and mallow of any age. This is an ideal time to kill winter annuals, of course. Perhaps you have chickweed, veronica and henbit. And maybe bittercress.

Herbicide Drive is also safe for new grass. Kills dandelions, clover and wild morning glory in addition to crabgrass.

The label does not recommend it, but I have used Eliminate on new ryegrass with no problem.
  6. Victor

Thanks for the help. :)
  7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

For the thick areas just use round up.

Drive plus Quicksilver will smoke pretty much any weed out there with a 7 day seed interval.
  8. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I believe with Drive there are no seeding restrictions. I've even put it right the hydroseed tank.
  9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Per the label, I think with blue and rye there's a 7 day interval before seeding, as mentioned above.
  10. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I stand very corrected. I read the label, which said there are no seeding restrictions....except those in table 4. I never went so far as to read the specific table at the end of the label (shame on me). Had I read further, I would have seen Bluegrass and Fine Fescue have restrictions of 7 days prior to, and after seeding. Again, my bad.