Seed Germination Concern

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Summett, May 6, 2005.

1. Summett

Summett LawnSite Member

I'm wondering if there is a length of time that seed can be planted without it germinating before you know it's time to reseed.

I planted seed about three weeks ago, and unfortunately the weather got really cool for the last 2 1/2 weeks. I continued to water it thru this period, and now it's been in the 70's the last two or three days, but it has germinated at all.

I'm wondering if it has gone bad and if i need to reseed or should i just have more patience.

Thanks for your assistance. :)

2. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

Spring generally isn't a good time to seed. It takes a long time for the seed to germinate due to the cold soil temps, then when it does finally germinate the spring/summer heat arrives before the grass is established and it burns out and dies. You may want to wait until late summer when the weather starts to cool before reseeding. The soil temps will be warmer and germination will occur a lot faster.

I seeded last september here in NC and my seed germinated in 4 days.

PS - I'm assuming you're planting cool weather grass.

3. Summett

Summett LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response HazyDave. You're correct, i did plant a northern "cool" grass. I wanted to plant last fall, but it was too late to plant after my lawn was tore up.

I was hoping to get a jump this spring and then seed again this fall. I just can't stand to look at a crappy lawn all summer long.

4. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

I tried seeding last spring and it was a waste of time, but I'm in NC. You being in Minnesota may have a better chance to have some success being it probably doesn't get all that hot there. Either way I think you'd do much better later in the summer.