Seed germination

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Gabby, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

No just crappy pictures. That is bare dirt that is a little dry.

2. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

3. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

Sorry I have not provided an update in awhile as I have been "offline". I always try to update my threads if I can so that everyone can see what the final outcome is. So the seeded areas are starting to fill in nice. I just needed to be more patient I guess. Now I am working on getting the rest of the lawn darker. As you can see in the pics the new grass on fresh top soil is dark and the existing grass is much lighter. Soil test showed low pH at 5.6 so I just put down some dolominic lime. Now the wait and see what happens. PATIENCE!!!!

Seeded Area 1b.jpg

Seeded Area 2b.jpg

Seeded Area 3b.jpg

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Just for an idea, perhaps you should invest in a little compost to topdress an area to see what happens...

Do you know what kind of soil you have there?? and does it seem to have a decent amount of OM or did a soil test address the OM???

The reason I mention it is becuz it appears that the topsoil you used for seeding is vastly superior to what you have originally and perhaps simple ammendments will be "big reward for little effort"... :)

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a different cultivar of grass to me. This fall I would recommend you over seed the entire area with the same type of seed you used on the spots you repaired.

6. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

I was thinking about the compost thing. Where is the best place to get compost as I do not make my own as some people do.

7. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

That's the plan actually. Aerate and overseed the whole lawn in the fall.

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I get compost from the construction yard... they use it to mix topsoil...

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Kiril makes a good point. Some high-quality new grass cultivars are genetically dark green. What seed did you use?

I hope the fert treatments fix it though.

10. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

Johnathan Greene Sun and Shade mix.