Seed Glue Rolls???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JimLewis, Nov 30, 2004.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Wow. I stay pretty up to date on new landscaping stuff, especially relating to new lawns. Been doing sod installs a long time. I've been familiar with Hydro-seeding and even regular seeding for a long time. I've been doing Terra-Seeding for two years now (which works great, by the way) but I've never seen this one before.....

BlueYellowProfessional

Just found out about it today, when I opened my November issue of Grounds Maintenance Magazine that came in today's mail. They just keep on inventing more and more newfangled stuff for us landscapers to have to deal with. :dizzy:

2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

At 25 cents per sqft to purchase, buying bulk, you probably wont see much of it in the future. I looked at the product at GIE, In fact made a beeline to their booth. When I found out the price I just turned away. I cannt see where there would be any better performance using this product than hydroseeding. Hydroseeding would be faster and is cheaper and easier to apply. Plue With the blueyellow you are limited to seed choices.

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked at blueyellow at GIE, too. They want you to compare the price to sod, not seed.
    Hey, at least we got to see how it stands up to rain.
    Crawdad

4. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a free 1sq ft sample from them. Very pricey. I can't see why they would charge so much for it. It can't be the materials. Making 10000 sqft of sod would be a lot more labor intense then Blue yellow.... If it was half that price I would sell a lot of it. Many around here are switching to hydroseeding.

5. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Granted, the seed choice is limited. They sent me a small roll to test out. It works very well. In certain types of applications I can see the justification. It doesn't take long to put out and stays put pretty good. The grass came up fast without bare spots.

We ended up using the roll to patch yards up that we would have normally used sod. I can see this as something that is put on the maintenance truck and sold to a customer for patching their yard. Now they just need to roll out with centipede for us here in the south.

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i got a sample also at the GIE
    it costs more than sod per yard.
    installation would not be that much more for sod, so why would anyone buy the stuff.

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I like this idea. But at .25 a foot ^(2) is ridiculous.