Seed Mix For SW New York State ?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by EDEN77, Jan 16, 2007.

1. EDEN77

EDEN77 LawnSite Member

I live & work in SW PA & plan on installing a new lawn for a relative in SW NY this coming April. The new lawn will not be a high-maintenance, high-priced, upscale lawn. The lawn will have to withstand NY winters as well as occasional hot & dry weather. The lawn will be used as a play area for a growing family with boys. I've already been advised that a Kentucky Bluegrass, perennial rye & fescue mix would be best. But, I'm thinking there should be a more durable mix I could use. Are there any landscapers in Western NY who can advise me what seed mix would be best ? Thanks.

2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

midnight blue would be something that i would look into.jmo
    my old boss recently interseeded this into the roughs at his course and the result was pretty dramatic.
    It has:
    A very dark blue-green color
    Dwarf growth habit
    Very high tiller density
    Drought tolerance
    Strong overall disease resistance
    Good tolerance to close mowing

I would defintly make sure that you will be near the property for about a month after seeding to monitor the germination. I would also make sure that the seedbed is prepared well and a soil test is taken to be able to tell you what amendments might be needed. Hope this helps

3. Which fescue?

4. EDEN77

EDEN77 LawnSite Member

I don't know specifically which fescue. I use for my customers' lawns the same Penn State Mix from the same supplier. I think it's a combination of red fescue & chewings fescue.

5. Would be good for a low maintence area or shade