seed or sod?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mastercut llc., Mar 20, 2007.

1. mastercut llc.

mastercut llc. LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I normally just mow and trim, you know the drill. I have a customer that has an area probably 10'x30' that seems to stay somewhat moist, and it almost totally shaded. He asked this year if there was anything I could do with that area. I asked him what all he has tried, he has done most all of the consumer sun/ shade mixtures. So is there anyone that has experience in this area that can possibly give me some advise on this. Thanks.

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

#1--It's almost impossible to get any grass in totally shaded areas! Discuss the attributes of mulch beds. He can have seasonal color, change the plants, add pieces of lawn sculpture. Some shade loving plants like a bed of Hostas is really dramatic or even a bed of mongo grass (Monkey Grass) either verigated or green gives back more than it takes to maintain them. I'd put in walkways, and sell them the plant maintainence package using snapshot. Great add-on and you can take care of it before the grass drys off.

3. mastercut llc.

from ohio

That maybe an option, I'll talk to him about that thanks.:)

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Tell him $500 and you will sod!

5. BW Landscaping

BW Landscaping LawnSite Member

if you sod that area, you maybe waisting your customers money b/c its not going to root. Then you will loose a customer

6. mastercut llc.

from ohio

I went and took another look today at the area in question and it almost looks like a fungus maybe or something, the spots are splotchy and light brown right now. I am not sure ,it could be a combination of to much water and not enough sun so the roots are rotten I have no idea . what do you think?:dizzy: I still like the paver stones and some beds idea. Thanks for the responses.

7. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=RedWingsDet;1759156]Tell him $500 and you will sod![/QUOTE][COL

Thats not happening ! On the same path as Raimaroad said , Some hardscaping and some shade loving Perennials insinc with your surroundings,soil test to see what's going on with the soil.:waving: