1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Seed or Sod

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by blk90s13, Mar 25, 2012.

1. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

The customer is a very loyal customer she dropped the ball in my field and said what ever you see right do and let me know how much before starting work

She got a company that wants to till the yard 2 feet down and seed it :rolleyes: lool

and another wants to sod it after tilling the yard as well, does anyone use sod cutters anymore ?

I would use a sod cutter take all the old crap away new 1/2 in to an inch of topsoil level it all up and then dont know what would work best

They have irrigation system so watering will be regular also she got lawn doctor treating the lawn

here is some pictures of what it looks like now

area is roughly 3000 sq/ft

IMG-20120325-00154.jpg

IMG-20120325-00156.jpg

IMG-20120325-00158.jpg

IMG-20120325-00157.jpg

2. nobody is going to till it two feet down (good snow job) get a sod cutter or harley rake or whatever and sod it

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Roundup it. Bring in a few inches of topsoil then seed or sod it. To much tilling will just make low points on it.

4. JR88

JR88 LawnSite Member

Like Grandview said.. Round up, mow it down to nothing, than topsoil, than seed. Done.

5. blk90s13

What if I dont wanna spray it ? I have license and all but dont want to use chemicals for my own reasons ?

is it too late in NJ to seed now ? and maybe up to 2 weeks from now ?

6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

OK .No round up,Put the topsoil down and seed it. The owner could always contract for weeds after the lawn is established. But if you go sod,I'd kill it off first.

7. blk90s13

Yea I think that's what I will go for just bury all the grass with nice layer of topsoil and seed it.

8. ValterBorges

ValterBorges LawnSite Member

Get a soil sample too probably want to lime it.

9. ValterBorges

ValterBorges LawnSite Member

Heat from drive way and road salt will kill the edge grass maybe some mulch and shrubs for the edges.

10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I would till it and re grade it and hydro seed it
    Thats myself
    that spraying it and adding top soil and seeding or sod you going raise the grade and will looks bad a long the drive way walk

All depends what equipment you have to do the job right