seed or weed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lawn dogg, Mar 23, 2008.

1. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

I have a lawn that has alot of weeds and some bare spots and where the lawn is fairly thick it still has weeds , should i try to get the weeds under control first or should i areate seed heavy and hope the new growth helps chock out some of the weeds and treat the weeds after the lawn thickens up.
    im leaning towards the seeding first since we should be getting some decent rains but what to you folks think.
  2. CreativeEdge

CreativeEdge LawnSite Member

What type of lawn is it?
  3. lawn dogg

mostly fescue with one side of yard zosia, the bare areas and most of the weeds are where the fescue is at.
  4. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

From reading your post, you already have some full areas in your lawn that still have weeds, so if you thicken up the rest of the lawn, you may still have the same problem, not being able to choke out the weeds. So I would just kill the entire lawn and start over, and use some weed preventive program as well, I'm not talking just about chemical apps, I mean proper mowing, watering and aerateing, with a fall seeding, depending where you are located of course.
  5. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

One more point, identify the type of weeds and treat/prevent according to the type of weed.
  6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Fescue doesn't really fill-in because the individual plants don't spread. Creeping red seems to fill-in better. KBG also does well in crowding out weeds.
  7. QLC- Rick

QLC- Rick LawnSite Member

That's the average lawn around here, for the older houses anyway, and I bet they don't want to pay for a complete renovation. I say seed it. Maybe see if they'll let you come back in a couple months and try to take care of the weeds, maybe do some spot spraying. Then aerate and over-seed again in the fall. My reasoning is that if you already have bare spots, and I'm guessing the customer doesn't want that, then by just killing the weeds you're going to have even more bare spots. So if you plant seed you can at least fill in the lawn, then start working on the weed problem.

Unless I missed my guess and they're willing to go for a complete do-over. Then kill it all and start over, would be the way to go.
  8. lawn dogg

Rick your exactly right no full renovation just yet everything is just like you said,you must know this lawn lol!!! i think thats the way im going with it since i can go back whenever to treat the weeds. thanks